Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that soaking cheesecloth in laundry detergent and letting it dry without rinsing creates a blue glow under blacklight. Anybody tried this, is it any better than cheesecloth alone for a FCG effect?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Sure it works way better than just the cheesecloth. I used tide for mine. You need to use the powdered type for this to work. :D RIT whitener works as well.

Since this is sort of hijacking the UV paint thread, I'm splitting it off into its own thread so as not to lose the focus of the original thread. Please keep this in mind when making posts to existing threads.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
There's already a current thread on this very subject over in atmosphere, maybe it should just be tagged onto that one.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i used rit to dye mine, cheesecloth itself does not glow at all under UV. like at all. laundry detergent works good but ive found rit works better for mine...like the whitener and brightener as apposed to liquid detergent

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I see a discussion for how many blacklights to use to get a good effect, but not a thread for what to treat material with to make it glow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Searched, cheesecloth question to avoid confusion

OK maybe I won't be able to get myself out of this state of confusion, but I have been reading, searching, reading some more and I can't seem to get a straight answer.

How do you make cheesecloth glow blue under a black light for the FCG?

I hear liquid detergent, or powder detergent, then I hear use RIT or RIT and detergent or 1/2 water 1/2 detergent. I hear detergent but don't rinse, then you are supposed to rinse lightly. Or soak it 3 times in detergent. HELP!!! What is correct way to get it to glow?

·
Registered
820 Posts
basically any and all of them. i did RIT whitener and brightener....i put the packet of it in with the cheesecloth and did a light wash in the washing machine and then i air dryed it outside

·
Registered
158 Posts
So in your case it was just RIT only, no detergent? I guess this is where I am getting confused, too many options.

I did the following but did not seem to get that blue glow

used Kirkland determent, liquid, about 1-1 1/2 cup liquid in bucket with about 1-2 gallons water and let it it for an hour, rinsed with water to get the soap out then in the dryer on the light setting, air only for about 30 minutes.

Do I not rinse as much and leave some of the soap residue in the cheesecloth?

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
I did a test trying to upgrade my glow.I tried spaying woolite,spray n wash and oxy-clean mixed with water on a static fcg,I could see no difference.Next bleach,tide and rit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I suggest shining a black light on the detergent itself, to see if it glows before you go to the bother of applying it to your props.

Beware of messing around with bleach. If you don't give yourself chemical burns, you'll rot your fabric. Bleach by itself does not glow. Just skip it. Matter of fact, just go straight to the RiT whitener. That is a known quantity. The whole point of trying out different detergents is that the one you already own may work, thereby saving a little money. If you are going to buy something special, just get the RiT.

·
Registered
158 Posts
skullboy and longtom

Thanks for the tips, I soaked the cheesecloth in detergent for a day but then did a light rinse. Guess I should have check the forum first.

I currently have it saoking in about a gallon of water with RIT Whitener, the powder in a box. I will just take it out and throw it in the dry in the morning.

Someone else suggested liquid RIT whitener doing a 50/50 with water in a spray bottle, mist the cheesecloth and let dry. I have not been able to find the luquid yet.

Anyone try this yet?

·
Registered
820 Posts
dude, dont make it so complicated! youll be all set with what your doing now. when you say 'ill throw it in the dry' do you mean your dryer? just a warning it becomes quite a mess if you do...i mean itll be hard to untangle. id just take it out, and hang it outside

·
Registered
158 Posts
Update on the cheesecloth. When holding the cloth in front of the blacklight, it is brighter (typical of a white material) but I don't see the blue glow I thought I should be getting.

I purchased two more packages of cheesecloth, 6 yards each, in case I need to try it again. I think where I am going wrong is the rinse part. I guess you want to leave it "soapy" and just dry it.

Anyone know the ration of detergent to water in a bucket before putting the cloth in? Maybe 1 cup detergent to 2 gallons of water?

Or if using a package of RIT, one package to 2 gallons of water or ???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts