Haunt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anywhere I can get thick pieces of foam? I stopped at Home Depot and could only find stuff that was 2 inches thick. I am looking for something thick enough to make an Iron Maiden. Maybe something 10X10 inches or more (bigger would be better) I need enough to make it 5 or 6 feet tall.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Most building suppy store don't carry the building foam, blue or pink any thicker than 2"
I've seen Menard's carry EPS Beadboard (like the white throway coolers) 4" thick.

A sign shop or a packaging manufacture should be able to help you out with EPS they may have a source for the building foam in small qty.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If you have any business's out there in AZ that sell pre-fab sunrooms and enclosed patios (and I'm sure you do!) check with them for the leftover wall pieces from their installations. I frequent the dumpster behind a 'Patio Enclosures' and reguularly pull out pieces of super dense foam up to six inches thick in various sizes. last year I scored 5 pieces that were approx 30 inches wide by 13 feet tall and six inches thick!!! (freeeeeeeee!)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've only seen the stuff 2" thick...
And I agree with The_Caretaker about cutting it and stacking them together.
I've seen it done and it seems to work pretty well.

If you making a person/monster figure you might want to look into using Monster Mud for the body...
The foam is some what pricey, especially for the amounts that you would need to make it 6 feet tall.
Just a thought...

Hope you get everything worked out!
:).

·
Registered
15 Posts
it is alot cheaper to buy it at Home Depot and glue it up into blocks. We do this often at work building theatrical scenery. There is PL foam adhesive or Liquid nails for foam, these are latex based and does not melt the foam like regular Liquid nails will. You can also get spray Foam Fast from some stores. this is more like a spray contact cement.

keep in mind there are two basic type of foams you will find at Home Depot, the blur foam which does not make as much mess, and then you will find the white bead foam, that is the one that will make a mess every where.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Donicia, My name is Randy and I live in Tucson. I have a piece of foam that will be perfect for your project. I will give this foam to you if you want it. You will want it! It is actually the white styrofoam that everyone hates(makes a heck of a mess when carved or sanded). But,it is also the two pound foam which is quite a bit heavier and firmer than the one pound stuff you are familiar with. The piece of foam that I have for you is approx. 24" x 24" x 96". It will weigh about 40 or 50 pounds. I tried to give this away on this site quite awhile ago, but nobody could come chase it and I didn't want the hassle of shipping it. There is a pic in my photobucket of it if you want to see it. Now here is the kicker. I am driving to Phoenix this Thursday evening with my son to catch a flight to Colorado on Friday morning. If you will meet me somewhere near the airport with a vehicle large enough to haul this thing, it's yours. You'll also need to bring someone to help you move it, as its big and hard to handle by yourself. Don't ask for any more foam, cause I now have a project that I need all of what is left. I typically don't loiter on this site much, but I found it very coincidental that I came here tonight and you need something I want to get rid of. Freaky huh? Let me know soon as i have to make plans to fit it into my truck along with two bicycles and luggage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Providence, and there are lots of art stores. The RISD store sells gaint peices of foam. Like the size of my car. So check some local art stores.

As alot of people suggested glue them together work well too!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just to clarify about the pink foam stuff. There is a Sign Supply company that my work uses and they sell the Pink stuff in sheets of 48"x96" by up to 10" thick. I asked if they had a minimum (since other places I contacted wanted like 10 sheet minimums when I only needed one at the time), and they said they can sell one sheet at a time. The 4" thick stuff went for about $30 a sheet and they can cut it into smaller pieces for ease of carry. If anyone in the Southern Californa area is interested in the contact information for them you can PM me and I will give it to ya.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Donicia, My name is Randy and I live in Tucson. I have a piece of foam that will be perfect for your project. I will give this foam to you if you want it. You will want it! It is actually the white styrofoam that everyone hates(makes a heck of a mess when carved or sanded). But,it is also the two pound foam which is quite a bit heavier and firmer than the one pound stuff you are familiar with. The piece of foam that I have for you is approx. 24" x 24" x 96". It will weigh about 40 or 50 pounds. I tried to give this away on this site quite awhile ago, but nobody could come chase it and I didn't want the hassle of shipping it. There is a pic in my photobucket of it if you want to see it. Now here is the kicker. I am driving to Phoenix this Thursday evening with my son to catch a flight to Colorado on Friday morning. If you will meet me somewhere near the airport with a vehicle large enough to haul this thing, it's yours. You'll also need to bring someone to help you move it, as its big and hard to handle by yourself. Don't ask for any more foam, cause I now have a project that I need all of what is left. I typically don't loiter on this site much, but I found it very coincidental that I came here tonight and you need something I want to get rid of. Freaky huh? Let me know soon as i have to make plans to fit it into my truck along with two bicycles and luggage.
Thanks again Randy for the foam. When I first saw it, it looked like a monolith. Very cool. I can probably get two or three props out it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.