Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to build my own tombstones & the first one will be my husband & I (of course he died first!):D Then I got to thinking....we have many re-peat victims every year at our halloween party....so why not make personalized tombstones for our friends & family. They don't get to take them home with them, but I thought they might get a kick out of seeing their names in the grave yard. What do you guys think???

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Well, i thought that was a good idea until my family was all like WTF, you wish us dead?? Obviously NO sense of humor on those peeps. If i was ur friend, i would think it was Hilarious, especially if it was with a funny epitaph. Ya know like....Here lies Turtle....She finally came out of her shell and went straight to hell. I like the idea, but as i said, some peeps got noo sense of humor.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking too, but then I thought, hey...they KNOW how I am with Halloween and my morbid sense of decorating. I was thinking of the more funny epitaphs to use though......we have friends who's last name is Huston....."we have a problem".....etc.....My father in law's name is "ed"...gee, that rhymes with dead.....so on and so on.....I just thought it would a nice way to personalize the evening....maybe I'm wierd..but I would be HONORED to be in someone else's cemetery....wouldn't you???

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds kinda creepy to me. lagrousome don't know if anyone else has this problem but, your font color is really hard for me to see and read...may be just me.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
(Psst eyes in the dark. I had to highlight the font color to read the posts)

L, I have to agree with turtle. I love the unusual and creative ideas expressed, but some of my own friends- although they support me in this- would get offended if I did this. The just don't undrstand. so be careful who you do it with or who else views it or you may get huge flack. :(

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I made a tombstone for my husband when he got transferred to another division in his job, which added a 50 mile drive each way to his commute. It said something to the effect of "K.W.M. Got transferred to presentence division, and it killed him". His previous supervisor came to our party, where I had it on display, and took it home with her and she now has it hanging in her office. She refuses to take it down until hubby gets transferred back to his old office.

There is also a woman in the next town over who decorates for Halloween, a little bit anyway. She made tombstones of all her ex's, her clients and whoever else wanted them. I think there's even one of the police chief and the mailman.

If you have fun with hi, and if your husband doesn't mind the fact that you made him die first :)p ) I say go for it. We have to have a little fun for ourselves while decorating too.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
LaGrousome..
I do this all the time, on the tombstones I have now they are real rocks so i used fabric paint on them. It is wearing off now after 10 yrs but i can redo them easily.
I use family names of who have died and also living names I just dont put the death date in those 1977- .
This yr we are having a bring your own tombstone party.
I will be expanding my graveyard to accomodate these..I do not know what they will put on those some may have thier names some not.
but I'm sure there will many a variety.
I plan on setting the tombstone up and then having the person lay in front of it like they are dead and then taking pics to put in the guest book for this yr that I am making.
I dont see anything wrong with it. It's your cematary haha

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the ideas ~ I think you're right...there are some that I wouldn't do them for, but others that would love it. Keeping it light & funny is probably the way to go. Maybe I'll only do a few for those I know would appreciate it and see how it goes....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the idea, but like turtle said, some people just don't find it humoresly. However, since its YOUR halloween party, i'd do it away! As long as you personally think they won't get offended. I'd also let everyone whos names you used, let them know you've included them in with some of your decorations and ask them not to feel offended (if possible). :confused:

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Thats a good idea amie...That way your not telling them what you doing, but letting them know in advance it might a little on the strange side.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did tell 1 couple that I was making them a tombstone and they were all for it. The kids really love the idea!! Maybe what I'll do when I make their stone is just put a last name on it with some details or a funny saying. Maybe I wont put on any "dates". Still tossing around the ideas I guess.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The first year I did the yard the kids made tombstones of each other. They were in HS, so no fear who they hit. They also did one for a school friend's car that had been wrecked a couple months before (and was only a month old!) and Osama Bin Laden after 9/11. I thought it was very creative, it said:
Here lies Osama
Tasted our Bomba
:)

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I did a few tombstones in honor of some of my friends..
Gary, who is an electrician by trade:
http://www.howloweenqueen.com/images/tombstones/hq_gary_tombstone.jpg

Ivy, who was in drama, still is a drama queen, and loves theater:
http://www.howloweenqueen.com/images/tombstones/hq_ivy_tombstone.jpg

My husband's original screen name, Zeke, which is just someone else's real tombstone, but I changed the town to Murder Creek, which is close to where my mom lives in Alabama:
http://www.howloweenqueen.com/images/tombstones/hq_zeke_tombstone.jpg

One for my son, Brandon, who inspired me one day on a bike ride:
http://www.howloweenqueen.com/images/tombstones/hq_BrandonTS.JPG

And then my own, which y'all have probably also seen with the name "Anna" which I just changed to "Deanna":
http://www.howloweenqueen.com/images/tombstones/hq_deanna_tombstone.jpg

Every body gets a kick out of them, then try to get me to make one for them too. I told people to write down their suggestions and I'll try to make some this year. Theyjust have to get them to me before October..LOL

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW!!!! I love the pics! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! No need to make them really creepy with death dates and such, but they look really great!
Thanks & I am going to make some for our repeaters! You guys have given me some really great ideas! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
My cousin considered a similar thing for her party last year. She was going to make up Doombuggy death certificates for everyone who attended, but then decided that maybe not everyone would be pleased. I guess the best idea is to really know your audience.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you're right.....tombstones for some, but not all. I have started (2)...both for our friends/neighbors that live behind us & they really liked them. The first couple's last name is "Huston"....so "Huston....We Had A Problem" and the other gal bakes fancy deserts for a living....so on theirs is their name, a huge cake & under neath "Baked to the Bone!"....her 12 year old daughter came up with that and is even helping me make the tombstones....ahhhh, a future haunter in the making....I love fresh blood!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts