Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Just wondering as spring gets closer to us in the great white north the first sign of halloween hope for me is the growing of a suburban pumpkin :D. Anyway I usually just grow normal sized pumpkins but last year i tried out an atlantic giant and it go sorta big i mean it was at leas 200 lbs but that s not really alot.

Does Anyone else i n here grow there own pumpkins for Halloween?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
kryptonoff said:
i want to try but when i wanna start growing i dont have access to seeds ...know of a comany ? and in october when i see pumkins everywhere i dont think of getting one and saving seeds so.........need to start right when weather gets warm right? dont you have to keep rolling pumpkins also so they stay kinda round? also what do you use to keep diease and pest at bay? didnt try to hijack your thread ive just been curious about this for awhile or yeah get rid of discolored pumpkins and bad ones ...how many can you get a vine? sorry i know lots of ?'s
(I'm assuming your talking about atlantic Giants but this advice wqorks for all of them.) If you are really serious about groweing atlantic Giants you can order seeds off the internet but if your like me and you are just experimenting Home Depot (haunters Dreaam Depot to me) offers some seeds they usually dont grow as big but thats ok for a first timer. Not sure where you live but in ottawa i satrt my sdeeds indoors around mid may. Just be careful with the transition from indoors to outdoors or else bad thing s happen. as fdor keeping them round...WHAT EVER YOU DO D NOT ROLDE YOUR [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what kills pumpkins !!!! DOing this can cause tension in the vine and break it. Even a small break can lead to desease!! Your worst enemy with all squash is the squash bettle luckily its to short a season hear in canada but ive never had problems witht them. The best thing you can do to make your pumpkins more rounf is to make sure you keep vine tension to a minimum. This means cutting off those twirly green things the grow around the vine that connects to your pumpkin as well as the secondary roots. Another good thing to do is only have one fruit on each plant and keep the main fruit on the primary vine or sometimes the seconfdary vine is ok 2. keep the fruit that grows at least a few meters away from your main root. lol if you want to e-mail me you can [email protected]

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I used to Colin. There's just something special about carving one you grow yourself. I still have an uncarved pumpkin in storage that hasn't spoiled yet, now would be a good time to harvest the seeds, bury them in the compost heap, and let nature take it's course.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kryptonoff said:
well im gonna start inside also any ferts. i need to know about for seedlings ?or just water dont start ferts till later .....seed starter .....root ferts.for transplant etc ?oh yeah can i leave on vine till october ....b/c im just gonna give away to neighbors for halloween not as a treat ...will they rot or just keep growing?
Last year i expermented with different methods to make the seeds germinate or whatever it is called. ONe method that kind of speeds things up i guess but is kind of a no brainer for pumpkin growers is to soak the seeds for a while (day or 2) or you can take off the shell of the seed. This is kind of hard to do without breaking the part of the seed thats easiest to break and most important. There are tons of different thing you can do just google it. Also ive joined alot of pumpkin yahoo forums and stuff.

AS for leaving them on the vine depends where you live and stuff. I know last year we had alot of problems with teenagers (yes my own kind sniff sniff) and animals alike. usually the smell of the pumpkins keeps animals away but sometimes those animals will stop at nothing. The worst part of this is they only take a bite out of it and leave.
But when your talking about october its ok to do it when you want a nice crisp orange. But i like to take mine out of the yard and just onto the deck to get the fruit compltly orange from maturing off the vine in september. I do this beacause most of the time the part on the ground is still yellowish and could easily start to rot if you leave it untill october because of rain (well this is what happens in Canada anyway) Most farmers actually harvest their pumpkins in mid september anyway so your bound to get the same result no matter what

lol i hope that helped i may suck at prop building but i know my pumpkins :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I grow, though I always wind up with powdery mildew on my plants. I do everything you're supposed to do to avoid it, yet it still grows. :( I do usually wind up with fruit, though it's usually a little smallish due to the disease.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I grow pumpkins too. We ended up with about 16 pie pumpkins last year. Zombie-F, do you water in the evening? I have heard that watering in the evening lets moisture stay on the pumpkin all night and leads to mildew. I water in the early morning now (love them automatic sprinkler systems).

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I water first thing in the morning as well. I think the problem I'm having is in July/August, it's soooo humid out that when it rains, the rain stays on the leaves a lot longer and that may be contributing to it. I'd use a spray to kill it, but I'm not too keen on using chemicals. Though, I only grow enough to carve, so maybe I could use a spray. Stuff to think about.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I htink everyone is screwed no matter what with the mildew especially with humid weather like you said ZF. But yah watering in the evening doesnt help. The best thing you can do is to just let the plant keep growing with infinate room that way your fruit is still gaining some nutrients. Alot of people when they are growing the big ones have a small tent structure that covers the fruit and where the stem is.

Word to the wise the more fruit on the vine the smaller the fruit.

Another word to the wise lol (but only really a personal preference) dont let fruit start growing until you have atleast 100+ leaves or else your screwed (200+ if you want a big one). When you cut off a fruit or vine try and cover it with soil of some kind so that it can grow secondary roots instead of being susseptable to deseease.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have actually never heard of treated seeds but im assuming they have something to do with genetic motification which i am complelty against and alot of peopel in the pumpkin world are 2. Yah big max are my favorite variety they give you a nice sized pumpkin with a nice orange colour and strong skin. Usually what your everyday pumpkin varieties are.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I grew my own pumpkins once. I can't remember exactly when... maybe 10 years ago. I didn't have any problem whatsoever. I just watered them once in a while and I ended up with 40-50 nice pumpkins in September!! I gave some away, kept some for Halloween, and my mother cooked some nice pumpkin pies. mmm I love pumpkin pies!! :jol:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have never grown the very large pumpkins, but here's my experieince with regular pumpkins. I take all the pumpkins I do not carve for Halloween and bury them in the ground (1 to 1 1/2 feet) before the ground freezes. In the spring, the ground thaws and the pumpkin plants start growing when they're ready. I have had very good success with this method. Here are the advanages. You don't have to worry about when to bring them outside. I figure mother nature will take care of that. The other bonus is that the rotting pumpkin will provide nourishment for the plant in the spring. The first year I used this method I got ~30 pumpkins from one plant. I had so many I started to give them away to my neighbors. The only bad thing about growing pumpkins is that you need a lot of space. My plants get so big that they start growing out into the road. Fortunately, I live on a "dead" end road.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frighteners Entertainment said:
From what I remember, if you want larger pumpkins, you need the proper seeds, usually hybrids, and you need to clip some of the pumpkins off the vines to let the other grow larger.

Jeff
Well if you want the real big ones you have to go with a compleltyl different breed of pumpkins to get the ultimate squash! but you have to be REALLY careful with clipping vines because to many clipped vines that arnt being taken care properly can result in desease. I usually dont start clipping my giant ones until they started escaping from the yard by way of my fence in september. But the most important thing is deciding where you want to grow your giant pumpkn (best a good distance from the root starting point) and only allow one or maybe a second one (just in case) so that all nutrients are being delivered to the pumpkin.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YAY PUmpkins!!!!!! I really hope everyone who has room to grow these beautiful things does so right awaY!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as april somes around i hope everyone goes out to buy some seeds! (there not that expensive...well the water that i use to water them does add up sometimes :p)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I don't want to sound like a total traitor, but the "Wimpnet Halloween" site has a very good tutorial on growing pumpkins. Me I just throw all my leftover pumpkin goo out back in the "garden" area and say "good bye and good luck" I got one pumpkin last year it was about the size of a coke can. LOL we have enough farms around here that have nice pumpkins that it really is not worth the time and yard space to grow our own.

If you find a white pumpkin get it and roast the seeds. the seeds are larger,tatse better and the husks are soft and more edible. plus they look cool kind of a silky pearly white.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts