Haunt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else remember those cardboard type decorations of yesteryear?

They were pretty large, well over a foot long, I think,on a fairly thick card stock, and were headshots of some of the classic monsters. There were pumpkins and witches, all kinds of stuff.

I remember the Dracula one pretty well. It had gray hair, the mouth was wide open, big fangs, and the scariest thing was the eyes. They were all bloodshot, and colored either yellow or red.

As I got older, I realised that it was clearly a rip off of Christopher Lee as Hammer Film's Dracula, but as a kid that was a pretty intense vampire. Still sticks in my mind as what a good vampire should look like.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you mean the jointed ones that everyone taped to their windows, yes. My mom was a huuuuge proponent of those, as was my grandma. I remember helping both of them put theirs up every year, and taking down the skeleton one to play with when no one was looking... :ninja:

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's all we had in the way of Halloween decorations back in the 1960's. It was either that or the black or orange ones we'd cut out of construction paper every year, and stick up on our classroom windows.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
My mom had those kind of decorations back in the 80's. She had a Dracula, a Frankenstein's Monster, one with bats on it, a skull, and lord knows what else. I remember I KNEW Halloween was coming up very soon because I'd come home from school one day and *bam* there they were, taped to each window.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I also have a passion for them. They were indeed the most popular 60s decoration, and I get dirty looks from Black Cat to this day when I have to buy any decent looking ones I find.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep. Those are just like the ones my Momn hung up at home in the 1960's and early 1970's. No clue what happened to them. I think once they got faded from the fall sun light after about the 10th year of using them she threw them away.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
It's those decorations, the .69 cent pumpkins and a whole slew of Horror films that got me interested in the holiday to begin with. When I used to see those hanging up in a classroom, or a home it signified that a magical time was on the horizon. Soon, dead leaves would fall and there would be the wonderful aroma's of wood fires, candy and baked or fried goods from fair grounds on the air. Anyone not positively affected by these things has no soul. :jol:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts