Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was doing landry this morning I when to clean-out the dryer lint and thought about this forum. I've seen the subject of dryer lint a number of times here somewhere but, I have no idea what it's used for. With a family of 5 I have a ton of this stuff and if it can be used for something Halloween then I'm in. Can someone clue me in?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Some people use it for a paper mache type technique
Dryer Lint Clay
1 1/2 c Lint from the dryer
1 c Water
1/2 c Regular flour
2 drops Wintergreen mint flavouring
(What the heck is this for.. so it dont sour)
Old newspaper
Paint
Place the lint in a saucepan and cover it with the water.
When the lint is saturated, add the flour and stir until it is smooth.
Add the drops of wintergreen oil flavouring.
Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it forms peaks and holds together. (Serve steaming hot to freinds and family.. Echhh.)
Pour it onto newspaper to cool.
Shape and model figures, or cover a form with it, such as a balloon,or skull mold
Allow to dry for 3 to 5 days, then paint and decorate as required

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Eyes I use dryer lint clay all the time. Here is the link to my How To.
http://hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=782

It's lots of fun to work with. I now use a small electric food processor when making my lint. It helps to break up the lint to get a smoother consistency. I substitue salt for the wintergreen. It's suppose to help keep it from molding while drying.
Keep in mind that the lint clay needs several warm days to dry completely before adding on more layers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad y'all posted on this subject again. I have lots-o-lint and am ready to try it. Have a couple of questions though...

If it's like clay, how long does it stay workable?
Do you have to use kosher salt or will the table kind work?
Can you save any that is unused say in a zip-lock in the fridge?

Thanks for the info and BTW...Great work!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lilly and Black cat, I've bookmarked the "how to" for later use. This looks like a great itea because you can build just about anything you can think of...very cool. :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If it's like clay, how long does it stay workable?
I make one batch at a time so never had any left over.

Do you have to use kosher salt or will the table kind work?
I use the kosher salt because it seems to keep the dryer lint clay from molding when in the drying process.

Can you save any that is unused say in a zip-lock in the fridge. I would imagine it would keep for a few days in a zip-lock bag. Like I said I make one batch at a time before making more.

Here's another project I did with the dryer lint clay........
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v193/troop134/health fair April 04/Bat Thing/

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
What I can tell you from living with Black Cat's finished pieces, is that if you use a gray colored lint, to make arms, or hands, it dries as hard as a rock, but just from looking at it you'd swear it was short fur. Black Cat is the foremeost proponent of the process from all of the forums I've read, and she uses it to make bats, headstones, and anything else you'd normally think of making with mache.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Haunted we have 3 cats and a dog so the dryer lint I use has ton's of hair in it. It just adds to the furlike look once the lint clay dries. I have found it necessary to use a small food processor when making up a batch of home grown lint clay. It makes the clay smooth and breaks up any large clumps of hair. I've gotten lint clay from friends without doggy hair to use for a smoother looking application.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah I told mine, but she already tinks Im nuts. I have a small collection going already. Joy!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Spackle is a compound used to fill holes and cracks in plaster.
I don't know much about what it is made out of.

Black Cat,
What is the benefit of the lint clay as opposed to papier mache or monster mud? It is that the lint is cheap and free or are there some other advantages to it? Just curious about this medium compared to others. I have not worked with anything like this before.

Krough, I love that effect on the skull.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts