Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a brief update. I received the final entry for the DVD set this weekend. I've tried rendering the disc and have been met with rendering errors so I will remove the new entry and try without it to see what happens. If it works without the final entry on the disc, I will try adding it again and hope for the best. Worst case, I will just omit this final entry and render the DVD and start the pre-order process.

I did have to omit one more extra to squeeze the final entry on, so if I need to omit the final entry, I'll pop the removed extra back on.

Sorry for the delay. Foolish software isn't co-operating (big surprise there). :p

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that didn't fix it. I'm going to spend some time this weekend re-doing the compilation as a new project file and see if I can get it to work correctly that way.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
cool I too can't wait for it to be finished ...
would like to see all the vids and pics on one piece.
should be great.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I'm unsure what is wrong at this point. The software SAYS I have two minutes of space left... unless I delete a clip from the compilation at which point it says I'm five minutes OVER time. I'm going to have to re-compile this weekend and see where I stand. I may need to remove an extra to make way for p8ball's entry, which was the last one to come in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Z,

I'm not sure if you did this already but make sure all the files are in the same format (MPEG2), different formats don't play well with others.

I have received pretty much every video format available for the Halloween-L DVD set. And I'm spending most of my time right now Encoding the videos to the proper format. What a pain!

I can't wait to get the DVD and see everybodys haunt!

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Z,

I'm not sure if you did this already but make sure all the files are in the same format (MPEG2), different formats don't play well with others.

I have received pretty much every video format available for the Halloween-L DVD set. And I'm spending most of my time right now Encoding the videos to the proper format. What a pain!

I can't wait to get the DVD and see everybodys haunt!

Chris
I'd be willing to bet it's all the WMV files. Damn you Microsoft for making a movie editor that exports to a hokey format!

What sucks is that If I need to re-encode some of these, then some people are going to lose a slight amount of video quality in the process.

Of course, the real culprit here is the Studio 10 software I decided to use this year (against my better judgement). Pinnacle, a British company, doesn't have the best track record with their software. Then again, are the British well known for making software? For that matter, are we Americans any better at it either? I should have stuck with Sony's software... it worked flawlessly for me last year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it's all the WMV files. Damn you Microsoft for making a movie editor that exports to a hokey format!

What sucks is that If I need to re-encode some of these, then some people are going to lose a slight amount of video quality in the process.

Of course, the real culprit here is the Studio 10 software I decided to use this year (against my better judgement). Pinnacle, a British company, doesn't have the best track record with their software. Then again, are the British well known for making software? For that matter, are we Americans any better at it either? I should have stuck with Sony's software... it worked flawlessly for me last year.
I left Studio 9 and went to Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, I haven't used it that much until I started to do the H-L DVDs. After using Studio 9 then going to Pro I am very impressed with the stability of the program, not to mention the quality.

I'll play with some of the settings in Studio 9 and find the best settings to convert wmv to mpg for you. I don't think you'll lose any quality going from wmv to mpg though since your converting to a higher quality format.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to P8balls help, I have managed to get past the hurdle that was preventing my completion of this project. For whatever reason, Studio 10 didn't "like" two of the WMV files sent in and no longer wanted to render them, so I had to use another piece of software to convert them to mpegs and now all is well.

I'm working on the menus as we speak and will burn the first candidate for the Master Copy later this evening. :D

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
cool beans Zombie

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zombie,

I'm glad you got everything sorted out and you're able to move forward. I can't wait to get the DVD!

Chris
No, thank you for helping me sort it all out!

I now have a master copy in my grubby little hands. The menus and chapter breaks are all tested and I've watched all videos so, it's ready to be reproduced.

I just have to sit down and make a few calculations to come up with a final cost and then I'll set you all loose on the pre-order web site. Once the pre-order period is over, I'll know how many discs I should order and will place an order with the duplication house. Once the DVDs arrive here, I'll ship them to all the pre-orders and keep an ample supply on hand for any stragglers who order later.

It's been a long strange road on this project. Thanks for everybody's patience and support while I worked through the myriad of problems that popped up along the way.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In all, 35 DVDs were sold during the pre-order period. I have just placed an order for 50 dupes to be made, so there will be a stock of 15 discs on hand after the initial sales are sorted out.

The master copy will go into the mail Monday, and I expect about a two week turnaround on the duplication process. Pre-orders should be shipping before the end of March. I will update you further through the shop e-mail software.

Thanks to everyone who ordered one! I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thank you Zombie-F. I can't wait to get my DVD.

Are you planning on doing this again next year???

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Zombie-F. I can't wait to get my DVD.

Are you planning on doing this again next year???
Being that I would call this a successful endeavor, yes there will be another next year. I anticipate that next year's will span more than one disc with the rate of growth we're experiencing on the forums and "after the fact" entries I received after the deadline to submit this year.

I hope everyone will be happy with what they get.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts