Haunt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, for a beginner who wants to start getting into electronics more for haunting, what is the best tool to get to read how much poser is going through a wire, like to find out how much power is going to a servo or LED or something?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
you can get a digital multimeter for 10-15 bucks. I got one from Harbor Freight on sale for like 6.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
For most applications a good quality Digital Multimeter (DMM) is what you need. These can run from $6 at Harbor Freight to $100s for the really high-end meters. If you are going to be using it with low voltage stuff and you don't need fast response time or really tight precision, go with a less costly unit. I have one of the $6 HF DMMs and its good for fast continuity checks wall wart outputs, and so on, but I also have a $200 Fluke 175 that I use for AC checks and signal monitoring. You can spend a lot more than that, too. If all you need is simple continuity and low voltage power checks, go cheap, but I'd never use the $6 meter on AC line voltage.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you mean how much voltage, you can use just about any multimeter but if you want to find out how many amps you are pushing through a line you need a amp probe, you can get a meter that does both for about 40-50 bucks I have a simple T-5 Fluke that does both works great, and like Otaku stated above if you are looking for precision your looking to drop a good amount of money.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I ordered one, so I hope I can get help figuring out how to use it when I need it?

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you mean how much voltage, you can use just about any multimeter but if you want to find out how many amps you are pushing through a line you need a amp probe, you can get a meter that does both for about 40-50 bucks I have a simple T-5 Fluke that does both works great, and like Otaku stated above if you are looking for precision your looking to drop a good amount of money.
For now I just need voltage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts