Haunt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to make a skull for my animatronic project and thought it would be good idea to make a bunch of them. Has anyone worked with the fiberglass resin and that super cheep fabric that usually gets used by the ton at weddings. The fabric usually costs about $5 for the whole roll at fabric stores. The thought of how many skulls could be made from a can of resin at $30 and $5 for the fabric equals pennies per skull.

Second question would be, can I use a latex and mother mold for this with Pam spray or Vasiline for a release? Or when playing paper, rock, scissor, latex, resin-Does resin win? I'm sure that there would have to be an opening in it to release the vapors and allow the resin to harden, but that's really no problem.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think that 'fabric' you're thinking of is a thin nylon mesh-type stuff. Nylon is fairly 'slick' and I don't know that you would have that good of luck combining it with the resin. It might work 'OK' being this isn't a structural part, but far from ideal. I would think some type of thin cotton fabric would have a much better chance of working with the resin - it still wouldn't be anywhere near the structural strength of fiberglass, but probably more than enough for the intended use.

The last time I used something close to an epoxy and latex, they became practically welded together - and that was with a liberal dose of silicone mold release spray. (Now if I would have wanted the two of them to stick....that would be another story) I had the best luck using a silicone mold - in that case, the two pieces easily slid apart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts