Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use real flames in their display?
I've seen tiki torches and real candles used and it seems to add a certain sense of "danger" to a haunt. I can remember seeing an oil lamp flame as a kid and it stayed with me as a really cool effect. Made the haunt seem real.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We sometimes use it on the nights leading up, but not on THE night of cause of kids catching on fire :p. But we do have lots of candles on the inside of the house so that when they open the door it kinda looks like a seance of some kind.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I use tiki torches, I keep them well away from traffic areas and I stay out on my porch for the whole TOT time. I would not use them inside a haunt or an area that is unattended. Other peoples unattended kids can get into everything.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
we use tiki torches set low for a shadow effect. But i have to keep an eye on the wife she likes them high. But even without her we keep about 10 extinguishers strategically hidden.

·
Old Bat
2,823 Posts
We use tiki torches around the pond with a skeleton in it for effect. They're behind a fence, though. The TOT's can't get close to them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just be sure you are not using any black plastic near it. Black plastic fire is BAD NEWS. I agree with Hib, don't use it in your haunt. Overall, I would strive to over worry about where you choose to use it.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Ya know i forgot about the sand bags with candles. These are the trickiest items and scare the hell out of me cause the kids are so excited they usually dont notice them rub on them and everything else. need to find another light sorce.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My luminarias are made out of terra cotta, metal, or glass instead of bags. Since my driveway is so long, I seldom have anyone brave enough to park at the end and walk to the house.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Our current sidewalk might be 12 feet and the new house will only be about 35. That gives me an idea i jusy got a load of old cobble stone i could hole drille theme and put tea lights inside

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use tiki torches for effect, but I keep them aways from the TOTs.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I will have a seance on my back porch set up. there will be a scaractor working the area but it will be roped off far away. That will be the only open source of flames... oh wait no... along my side and back fence I have hooks to hang lanterns - again roped off so they shouldnt be a problem with the TOTs. Other than that, just plain old electricity.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The only spot we use open flame is with the hedge Zombies.>>>>>>>>>>
http://terroronbeechwood.com/index.php?pr=20055
http://terroronbeechwood.com/index.php?pr=20056

The hedge is over 6' high, and the zombies a good two or more feet above that. There is no access to the flames from behind the hedge. I have used lanterns in the graveyard in years when it is completely fenced off. I also remain outside the entire time, and I have 6 full size, fully charged, and recently inspected fire extinguishers placed throughout the haunt. Thanks John for joining the anti black plastic campaign, lol.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I have two tiki torches that attach to the back of my cemetery columns. They are black metal and have a c-clamp type base. They are elevated over 6 feet off the ground and far enough apart so as not to be close to kids coming up the walk. The drawback is that they tend to go out if it's too breezy. I also have used candles in scenes where live actors are present, and of course, in the jack o lanterns.:jol:

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
fire!!!! a must at our hallowen party.(of course no TOTs allowed)sry kids this is my time.. bon fire ,tiki torches, floating torches. candles in the pumpkins < obvious
this one reminds me of a witch and cauldron

we also have to call in to let them know we are having a fire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts