Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First new Gravestones for 2010

So with Christmas done and gone, I can finally get to work on some new props for the 2010 season with a clear conscience, or at least without the harassing comments from my wife. I decided that this year, I wanted to add a few nicer looking tombstones to add to the group. This is the start of my first tombstone for the year. The next step is to start breaking the edges up and give it some cracks, then it'll be on to the painting table. But I wanted to share this before I started breaking it up.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,242 Posts
Nice detailing. Looking forward to seeing it as a final product.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! What did you use to do the lettering? Almost looks like it was etched with a laser.
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. The lettering was all done with an x-acto knife. I just printed out the inscription on paper, taped it in place, and cut through the paper into the foam. I did my best to keep the blade at a 45 degree angle, and just took my time. I took a break after every few letters so that I wouldnt get sloppy or careless. It ended up taking a few hours to cut, but the result was worth it IMO. In the past Ive used a dremmel with a hole saw cone adapter and a tapered bit, which is much quicker. The x-acto method, while more time consuming, created a much more professional look, and a lot less mess.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had to log-in just to tell you that I agree with everyone else. That is a gorgeous, professional, wonderfully detailed stone.

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts
Beautiful stone, SK. I've used the Xacto blade cutting method you describe as well - very painstaking and tiring, but it gives a great look.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Wow. I wish I had your focus. Very impressive!

·
Typing Lunatic
2,892 Posts
You have heard this before but that is a great job on that stone and I look forward to the finished product.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time for an update. It was terribly difficult to start digging into it, but here's a shot after the initial assault. shortly there after, I hit it with a few spots of black spraypaint to add a little dimpling to the damaged areas. It's now on the painting table with the first coat of black.

·
Registered
40 Posts
SKAustin, your cracks and crumbled bits look super realistic! OUtstanding... can't wait to see it painted!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts