Haunt Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Terrible Peril
2,660 Posts
Totally great.....you are going to need lots lo light on these at night so people can see all that detail

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Holly sheep Batman! I will never be able to do a simple quick tombstone ever again! Wow you have an eye for this. Super great job already and your not even finished. When is the next episode? I want to tune in.
LoL, Thanks. I am actually taking a break between letters as I type this. I expect to have it carved and ready for painting by tuesday or wednesday. I work weekends so I only get a few hours to work on these per day. I'll post more Pics along the way.

Ive also got the design planned out for the next one. That one will be the common 17th century style

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Skull was done same as the lettering, Just cut out the lines through the paper. Of course I wish it were as easy at is sounds. The skull was quite time consuming.
Wow thanks for the update! it looks like it took you a long time for the skull. Please post a how to when you can. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The stones are awesome! I prefer the exacto as well, although the Dremel is faster. Your detailing is fantastic. Are you using the exacto on the small lettering as well? What paint choices do you prefer. Can't wait to see more pictures.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The stones are awesome! I prefer the exacto as well, although the Dremel is faster. Your detailing is fantastic. Are you using the exacto on the small lettering as well? What paint choices do you prefer. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Yes, I've used the x-acto for all of the lettering. The smaller letters do get a bit difficult at times, but it's all good in the end.

As for the paints, I just use whatever hobby acrylics I can find at Wal-Mart. I believe the brands are Apple Barrel and FolkArt.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
AND NOW.......... Time for an update on #2.

The engraving is done. Just have to finish off the pitted area. I am considering adding the neck vertebrae below the skull. Personally I think that area is far too empty for my liking.. Opinions? Anyone?

I am also considering a bit of simple scrollwork (as is beneath the name on tombstone #1)between the Name/Dates/Poem. Again, opinions?

·
Super Moderator
64,182 Posts
Damn, you're too good at this!:D

What if you just extended the pitting throughout the outlined area instead of adding vertebrae? I like the idea of scrollwork, but really, the central area is beautiful as is and doesn't need anything else.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The added scrollwork would look fine but not really necessary as there is so much detail already, it may just be lost/not noticed. I agree the area under the skull could use something. Not sure if a neck/vertebrae or something else, but something to fill in that space.
It looks fantastic. I am, again, inspired to up my game a bit this year and try something like this. I need to stock up on exacto blades!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Sounds like the opinion is, the scrollwork might clutter up the stone. I think I agree with that position.

As for the neck area, I feel it is a bit too empty. I dont know if it's obvious, But I was going for the "hey, it kinda looks like the grim reaper!" look to the stone, So I thought that adding a few vertebrae in the neck might serve the look.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
WOW.. I used the dremmel technique last year, and got a sloppy result, but I don't think I could get detail like that. That is truly amazing!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
So it's time for another update. Here are another batch of photos.

The construction of the stone is finished.

Now for the destruction. First, the cracks and chips.

Then a light coat of spray paint for some finer "age spots".

Then a full coat of black, and the drybrushing is started.

So I still have a few more colors to drybrush, and then it'll be time to add the Moss, but it's getting there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bravo! Beautiful stone here SKAustin! I really appreciate a very meticulously done stone...it adds so much to the "real" feeling of a spooky yard haunt! FABULOUS!

·
Super Moderator
64,182 Posts
I see you filled in with the stippling/pitting - it looks really good that way. The skull almost appears to be floatng away from the surface of the stone in those shots.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts