Haunt Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Muddled Moderator
28,240 Posts
Beautiful job SK! I'm envious of how you get your letter to come out.

·
Typing Lunatic
2,891 Posts
Outstanding on the second one also I love the of the skull and look forward to see it finished.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Excellent work! Do you have an approximate total time for each one? I guess I'd have to start now :D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Considering all the detail, 8 hours is not a lot of time...excellent!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Beautiful work, SK! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of trim/moulding are you using around the bases?

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
Damn, that is incredible work!! Having done some exacto work on last years stones I know how difficult it is to do that fine (smaller) lettering. No wonder you take frequent breaks. On a side note, the one with the skull gives the appearance of looking down the barrel of two tommy guns or BFG9000's aimed right at me... Just my Imagination???? Has the grim reaper traded in his scythe?? Again, that is some AWESOME work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Beautiful work, SK! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of trim/moulding are you using around the bases?
The trim around the base of the stones was crafted from scrap off of the same piece of blue foam from which the stones were made. The sides of the foam are "tounge and groove". The tounge, and either side of the groove are shaved off to create a flat side. The base trim was created from the remnants of the grooved side. The outer edges are rounded with sandpaper.

Damn, that is incredible work!! Having done some exacto work on last years stones I know how difficult it is to do that fine (smaller) lettering. No wonder you take frequent breaks. On a side note, the one with the skull gives the appearance of looking down the barrel of two tommy guns or BFG9000's aimed right at me... Just my Imagination???? Has the grim reaper traded in his scythe?? Again, that is some AWESOME work.
Thanks for the Compliments. That is certainly an interesting interpretation on the stone. The idea behind the design was that the reaper figure is open-armed, welcoming the body to its eternal resting place. Perhaps as if to say "Welcome, Have a rest and stay while."

They look amazing! Great job. I'm so jealous!
Thank you, but please, do not be jealous. Be inspired. It really is not as difficult as one might think.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Stone #3 hits the table this week. This time, I plan to video document the entire build. I expect to be breaking it up into 10 minute segments, and will be covering some of the questions asked in these threads. The plan is to duplicate the Death's Head Gravestones Common in the 17th and 18th century. This is one of the photos I will be using as a guide. Obviously, I will be changing the names and dates.

·
Super Moderator
64,182 Posts
That is one detailed gravestone you're going to be using as a model. You must love pain:D:googly:

81 - 100 of 116 Posts