Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be cool for everyone tell what they're first prop was, just to see where everyone came from.

My first prop was the medicine cabinet with a false back, although I still have not completely finished it. When I was pretty young, I got some of John Denely's videos, and this was one of the props on it. So my dad and I wanted to give it a try and it came out very well. But it also showed me how much fun prop building can be, and how satisfying it is when you finish a prop. (By the way, thanks Lotus for the bottom shelf props!) You can find pictures here www.picturetrail.com/mikeq91 (You'll have to scroll down a little, it won't let me directly link the picture).

So, what was your first prop?
mike

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Let's see, my first prop was the fencing and columns for my graveyard. I think I built one segment of fence and then used it to figure out where I needed to put the mounting brackets onto my (now retired) columns.

I foolishly didn't measure how much distance there was between the two, so they're kinda too close together. I managed to learn from that though and got it right the next year.

Have a look at the attached file.

·
My Avatar DANCES!
1,714 Posts
Zombie-F said:
Let's see, my first prop was the fencing and columns for my graveyard. I think I built one segment of fence and then used it to figure out where I needed to put the mounting brackets onto my (now retired) columns.

I foolishly didn't measure how much distance there was between the two, so they're kinda too close together. I managed to learn from that though and got it right the next year.

Have a look at the attached file.
I love those Columns

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the columns guys. Sadly, between the Halloween 2003-04 season, they stopped functioning and I had to retire them. That's why I built the new columns last year. This time, I made them so I can (hopefully) disassemble them in the event of an electrical failure so I can fix it. I'll have to "re-skin" them if that happens, but at least I'll be able to fix em this time.

Awesome first prop Blackwidow! I still haven't tried Monster Mudding. I keep putting it off for some reason, though, I should just get off my lazy butt and do it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks a bunch Zombie-F! That's too bad about your columns but your Thunder columns are to DIE FOR :eek:

You should give the monster mud a try, but be warned...make your framing strong so you won't have to go back like I did (twice) and fix a sagging prop. The apparition has a wood frame and chicken wire and is still good but my poor reaper was half wood, half pvc and it didn't hold up to the weight of the monster mud :(

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job on the apparition blackwidow! It looks really creepy, like it could move its head up at any minute. Great work!

mike

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My first "real" prop was a FCG. I found the http://www.phantasmechanics.com site three days before Halloween in 2001. I went to Grainger's the next day and faked a business name so they would sell me a Dayton gearmotor. I picked up the rest of the materials at Lowes and Walmart and put it together before the big night. The kids and neighbors were blown away by that simple prop and I've "had" to up the ante each year since.

Of course I had been doing the standard decorating/pumpkin carving for years. But that first "real" prop created a passion (some would call it an obsession) with learning more and more about our little "hobby". The online haunt community has done nothing but add fuel to this fire. It's really great that so many others are also so passionate about this holiday. Thanks everyone.

Hello...I'm ScareFX...and I'm a Halloween addict. My first prop was this FCG...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Obsessed is definately the correct term. When you get the "after holiday"sale gitters on the first of November instead of the Friday after Thanksgiving, you are obsessed.

My first prop was a toe pincher coffin. My hubby and I designed it so that the top portion would be separate and open separately from the bottom half. We sprayed the inside walls of the top with great stuff and lined it with a large piece of plastic. Our goal was to make an ice chest of sorts for a Halloween Party. It held ice for four days after the party.

The bottom part held chips and stuff for the party and was storage afterwards. Now, I have too much stuff to fit.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Wow, some great props. I love looking at all the pics. What ideas run through my head.
Here is my first prop which got me started with latex. I started this in September and it was out on display for Halloween over looking our front hedge. The toters loved it as it was lit up holding a torch in its hands. Well here is "Little Count" as I named him.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v193/troop134/Vlad and Black Cat/?action=view&current=P1010133.jpg
And here he is dressed up for the big night.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v193/troop134/Vlad and Black Cat/?action=view&current=P1010019.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
Your first prop?

what was your first prop and how long ago did you make it? it should be interesting to see what crappy stuff we started with

Mine was 2 years ago I took some wood and made a cross type thing for a body shape. Then I took a sheet and put it over it and called it a ghost. So then I took a scream mask that has a motion sensor in it to scream on top. It didnt scream cuz it was so dark, so i decided to grab a flashlight and put it on the ground pointing up at it on the other side of the driveway. When a tot broke the beam, it screamed.
Prettty lame, but works for me

1 - 20 of 55 Posts