Haunt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a "3D" TV for my garage/house haunt but tried a static version which I don't like very much. You see, I didn't what a moving one because I don't think people whould not be able to see the effect from the street. I've been trying different lighting effects IE strob, night-light, and a flame flickering bulb but nothing is giving me what I want. I thought of an idea which I think would be perfect but, not sure if I can do it or not.

I would like the TV to flicker a few times, come on for a couple of minutes, then flicker and go dark again like it's getting intemit power. I've seen flicker circuits but they all seem to be geared to a flame effect. Anyone know where I can buy something like this (controler) or how to build it myself?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have access to any video editing software? You should be able to replicate that effect and just put it on a loop VHS tape or DVD.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr Moribus, this "TV" is gutted and has spandex installed for the screen so there is no chance of fire.
GreenCapt, I do have editing software and I like your idea, I could even add images to the loop when the TV comes on like a ghost or something.

Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about the confusion. I have an old TV which I gutted to make a "3D" TV but, I didn't like the static nature of the prop. I tried a few lighting ideas, with the now gutted TV but, nothing looked good to me. I thought of the "flickering" TV and was wondering how I could do it...so my post.

If I deside to go with GreenCapt's idea I would use a "good TV" either from the house or buy a cheep one from a yard-sale, or something like that.

I can make a video with my computer but, would need to get it on VHS ( I have a couple old ones) because I don't want to use my home computer to run one prop. BTW no, my home computer can't transfere from mpeg (or whatever format I would use) to VHS.

Again sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thrift stores and pawn shops are great sources for old tvs on the cheap as well. And do you have a video camera of any sort? You could put the elements together on your computer and then actually film the screen (assuming you want the cheapest and easiest method- you *will* end up with odd scanning lines due to the unmatched scan rates of the monitor, etc (unless you have an LCD monitor then you should be in like Flynn) but even so that could add to your effect.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
One idea you might try is to add some things, like faces or hands, that push out against the screen, then come back in. A low RPM motor, with a cam and some rocker arms should do the trick. If you like this idea, I can sketch something up for you if you need help with the mechanics, or I'm sure Dr Morbius and others could do it also.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GreenCapt, another great idea! I do have a VHS camera and like you said the scan lines may even help the effect. Let me see what I can come-up with, I'll let you know how it turns out.

heresjohnny, the reason I kinda gave-up on the 3D TV idea is you would not be able to see the effect from the street. I may look at this again when I move into the inside decs. Thanks for the offer to "draw something up" and I may need your help a little later down the line.

Dr Moribus, that would be cool if done right!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything you guys/gals can offer would be a help. I also have a program where I can "rip" DVDs into JPEG format which I'm going to use to get some clips from a couple of horror movies like The Exorcist to use. :xbones:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heresjohnny, my daughter reminded my our small digital camera can take short video clips so I shot a short clip of static and blackness last night and did a few tests....it worked great! :D I'm going to work on it some more this weekend and will post a clip when ready...thanks for the idea I think this is going to be great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts