Haunt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know until recently there was a difference between spotlights and floodlights.

Spotlights dont have diffusers in the lens. I did not know that. So I wonder if HD or Menards sells both types as when I go in I usually just buy colored flood lights?

Last year I used colored floods and didn't know why my front yard looked different than what I've seen in pictures of various yard haunts. I really like the saturated look of the colors.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Flood lights generally have a larger light area. Spot lights cover a smaller area, but do so much brighter. These are general terms used by lighting professionals. The home market, however unfortunately , uses both terms quite interchangeably. So just because it says 'spotlight' doesn't mean it IS a small area coverage REAL spot light.

The 'saturated' look of the lighting colors is best obtained with LEDs. Spots, Floods, whatever you want to call them, LEDs look awesome in photographs.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ah, thanks for segueing the topic to LED's in the spot vs. flood thread! :)

Most LED mini-spots that people use make obvious circles of light on the targets (headstones, whatever). I know the divergence angle of the LED is built into it, but is there any sort of cheapie lens that anyone has used to spread the mini-spot a bit and make it a micro-flood? Or do I have to look for LED's specifically that have wide angles? It can be slim pickins variety-wise when looking for good bulk deals on lights sometimes.

I love the ability to illuminate and color a tight area, but hate that blatant 12" circle of light in the middle of the target and don't want to move the lamp so far away that the light is lost.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
so what size LED's (and how many of them) did you use on those 2 props johnny? (or were those just an example of prop sizes and not LED lighting?) If I had to use incandescents, I'd just use a floodlight instead of a big ol' bucket. My desire is full, smooth lighting (with small concealed light sources) of specific areas... if you can light your props and leave everything else in darkness, you can really control your overall visual impact so much better. And make your area look bigger too.l

·
Ghost Maker
2,931 Posts
Those are 7 LED spotlights built with the technique here http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=7113, using 5mm, 13,000mcd Blue ultra bright LEDs. I'd suggest finding the LEDs first, then using the calculator in the how-to to find out the resistor values and layout.

The pictures are to show how LED spots can light larger props; the scarecrow is 7' tall, and the tombstone is about 2 feet wide. I just put the spot lights on the ground and shoved them around until they looked good, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Johnny. I just got in a bunch of 10000+mcd 5mm's in blue, green and red. Wahoo - I'm excited about getting your type of result.

I havent been about to obtain that flat light look with my lower output mcd's. I get 5 little halos at close distances. Any thoughts on that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.