Haunt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody used foam wrap, such as the stuff used for wrapping fedex shipments...etc here's a link

http://www.uboxes.com/moving_supplies_foamwrap.aspx?CategoryID=20&gclid=CNPu_YWRsKsCFYdrKgodljyvfg

there's different thicknesses and widths, but, overall, it's faily cheap...I was pondering how it would work in making wide fake tree trunks and using hot knife to carve the grooves. Sure there has to be some other cool ideas this item could be applied to, just looking for ideas and since it's so cheap

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
I'm thinking once you start cutting into that roll, unless the hot knife melts the foam to itself, the roll will come undone along the cuts. Aside from that, I could certainly see using the roll to make tree stumps, and they would probably be relatively lightweight. You would just need to put some kind of coating on the foam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I really wasn't planning on using the whole role and hot knife'in it, but, using concrete forms and do 2-3 layers around to gain some thickness glue together, then take the hot knife or foam wire tools to.

Alternatively, I thought possibly to heat up a 4x8 sheet of pink foam around a 12" diameter concrete form while another peson is applying pressure on the sides (thus heating the middle of the board), but, I don't know if you could get enough heat to bend the form board.

I just think with layering the wrapping around objects you could do some very cool detail work/carving with round surfaces that's typically not easily done with the standard 4x8 foam boards...

·
Registered
686 Posts
To do trees I use the concrete cardboard tubes, and apply brown monster mud, then I hit it with a comb...like this ish

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, I didn't think of using MM.. Those hand/arms look great in the video and this would work great for simulating tree bark, not sure the MM would look as good as the hand/arms texture shown in vid, but, the technique would be the same. Excellant!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts