Haunt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any cold weather haunters here? I built a real nice chiller last year, and use 3" black pvc to route it around the yard. Outstanding low level fog during the day, and on warmer evenings. However, as soon as the temperature starts to drop at night, the effect tapers off. I have been using plain ice, and am considering dry ice to lower the fog temp even lower. However, I have to drive 45 miles to buy dry ice in quantity, and the cost would be prohibitive unless I could expect better results. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I find that my cheap fogger has difficulty heating up fast between cycles when its really cold out. We put it into a box to help it retain a little warmth...and then pump the fog thru the cooler... seems to help... maybe its my imagination...

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't know how it works - and if anybody wants to explain it - feel free - I'd like to know - but I think Beepem hiy it - add rock salt to your recipe.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why would salt make it colder? Because the ice would melt faster? I thought melting ice gives off (granted, a small amount) of latent heat? I'd like to understand it too...Beepem, or any other hobby chemist have an explination for what would work best?

·
Registered
820 Posts
no. you make saltwater ice. the ice has a low freezing point so it gets colder in the freezer. its better. even the mythbusters tested it

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you use old fashioned ice cream freezers, you add rock salt to the ice for the same reason. To make it colder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried the rock salt and ice idea today and it didnt work too well. The salt made the ice melt too fast and the water rose up over the output tube. I use rolled 1/4 heavy duty wire screen as a tube, similar to the one designed by gotfog.com. Might work if you had a solid tube. Going to try the dry ice idea as a test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts