Haunt Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1226 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,

I need some help wrapping my head around the Octobanger config and setup. I built a Monster in a Box 2.0 last year but had some monitor issues last minute as I was starting to get to the Octobanger setup so shoved it to the back burner til this year. I was originally going to use wickedbeernut's solution but his configurator program download link went AWOL, as did he (hope he's ok), so I shifted to Octobanger.

In the Octobanger config it lets me start a new controller and select Video when I create the Controller. Then I set the Ambient MP3 and Scare MP3. It looks like the only purpose of telling Octobanger the Controller is a Video is to send the trigger out the Media pin.

I've repurposed the Living Portrait Instructable and have the MIB2.0 Scare video working using PIR trigger. I'd love to just use the Relay Decoder version of the Scare video and the triggers contained in the Right channel (thus the original plan to use wickedbeernut's setup) but it looks like Octobanger doesn't do things in that manner.

To get the lid/green glow/fog to trigger to do their thing it looks like I need to manually define when each should trigger, right?

Does Octobanger require the Scare MP3 once everything is programmed or is it just the base to build the timing on?

I'm guessing it'll definitely need the Ambient/Attract MP3 which it will cut off once the PIR (or remote relay, still deciding) triggers. Then the Scare Video kicks in.

The Scare Video will be handling the Video/Audio during the Scare. Octobanger will then just be handling the triggering based on that timing right?

When the Scare Video completes/resets, I'm guessing the Ambient/Attract MP3 kicks back in until next trigger? The Pi puts the video back to the beginning paused until next trigger.

Is trigger via the Media pin just a Low/High? (The program mentions a Serial 1 via Media Pin). Trying to figure out how to have the Octobanger trigger the Scare Video like the PIR directly connected to the Pi does now.

Any experience or thoughts you would like to share are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, I'll check into it. On another note, I'm setting up a new octobanger controller, but I'm not getting audio. Rather than searching through this massive thread, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone can shortcut my troubleshooting process...The MP3 player light blinks when triggered as if it's playing back, but I'm not getting anything out of the headphone jack. I'm using the default pinout (no relay shield) and I've got mp3 RX connected to pin 12 (and gnd and 5v, of course). Are there any restrictions on the mp3 file itself? It seems like the other files I've used.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Can the programming be done with an ipad?
From the little I know, I don't think so.
If not, does anyone offer programming services?
I've built a few of these, but can't use them since I don't have a computer.
Robert

·
Registered
316 Posts
If they are the four banger model then you can get a keypad and program it with it as a real "button banger" but I guess that is only after the firmware is loaded to the Arduino. some public libraries have computers you could perhaps use. I live in Idaho but would be happy to program these for you, but you will still need to set your timings for off and on with the button pad method unless your prop is ultra basic or you send the whole kabootal. I would think you could find a closer to home solution though. May even be worth buying an old PC from a second hand shop to run the software on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would be nice for the four- and octo-bangers to have the ability to play up to 10 different Scare mp3s and control several Catalex modules at the same time. Also, wish the ambient mp3 could be up to 30 mins long. Or, let a long ambient play on one mp3 and have another mp3 play the different scare mp3s either synchronized with the ambient or at random intervals.
Since the banger software is free, do you think Mike North would let it go open-sourced via github? I think the community could really take this great software to levels that Mike may just not have time for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is there a way to have an Uno run in a loop with relays connected without a PIR and have the sequence run over and over? Something like on a Picoboo when you jump the ground and in on the trigger and it plays over and over without needing to be triggered externally? Basically when power is applied to the UNO it's starts playing the programmed sequence and doesn't stop until power is removed. In my case I want to have it turn on one light then turn on another light and repeat this indefinitely.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can just program the arduino to run a loop without using the fourbanger or octobanger software. Download the Arduino IDE and open a new file.

I've modified the blink example to support 4 relays wired to pins 9-12. This will turn on one light, wait a second, turn on the next, wait, etc. then turn them all off, wait another second and repeat. Is this kind of what you were looking for?

If you could be more specific on timing of the lights, we can help out a bit more.

/*
Modified Blink
Turns on an LED on for one second, then another, and another,and another and then turns them off.

Most Arduinos have an on-board LED you can control. On the Uno and
Leonardo, it is attached to digital pin 13. If you're unsure what
pin the on-board LED is connected to on your Arduino model, check
the documentation at http://www.arduino.cc

This example code is in the public domain.

modified 8 May 2014
by Scott Fitzgerald
*/

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
// initialize digital pins 9-12 as outputs.
pinMode(12, OUTPUT);
pinMode(11, OUTPUT);
pinMode(10, OUTPUT);
pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
digitalWrite(12, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
delay(1000); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(11, HIGH); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
digitalWrite(10, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
digitalWrite(9, HIGH); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW

for (int thisPin = 9; thisPin < 13; thisPin++) {
digitalWrite(thisPin, LOW);// turn the pin off
}
delay(1000);
}

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I don't think Mike frequents the forum much if at all nowadays, so I'm hoping someone else can answer my query..

Using Octobanger, the software doesn't appear to have a built in ability to upload the MP3s to the SD Card (as per four banger software)? Not a big deal as I believe it requires them saved as 001.mp3, 002.mp3 etc

Also, am I correct in assuming that the relay trigger pins are different between octo and four banger? 2-9 for Octo and A0 - A4 for four banger?

Thanks in advance!

RV

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,068 Posts
Using Octobanger, the software doesn't appear to have a built in ability to upload the MP3s to the SD Card (as per four banger software)? Not a big deal as I believe it requires them saved as 001.mp3, 002.mp3 etc
I believe it does. If you click the Media button it should have what looks like an SD icon with a green arrow. That should upload the sounds to your SD card.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the relay trigger pins are different between octo and four banger? 2-9 for Octo and A0 - A4 for four banger?
The Octobanger TTL pins are are 2 thru 9 if you don't change it to Shield. If you change it to Shield, it's 4 thru 11

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm back with more questions :)

I've wired up my project as per Octobanger instructions but neither my PIR sensor nor MP3 player are working.

Looking at the serial info windows in the Octobanger application it reports:

OctoBanger TTL v8.2.0
Config OK
Frame Count: 0
Seq Len Secs: 0.00
Reset Delay Secs: 15
Pin Map: Default_TTL
Trigger Pin in: 11
Trigger Ambient Type: Low (PIR or + trigger)
Trigger Pin Out: 10
Media Serial Pin: 12
Media Type: Catalex Mp3 Ambient + Scare
Volume: 30
Timing Offset ms: -0.405
TTL PINS: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
TTL TYPES: 0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0

The two lines which intrigue me are:
Trigger Pin In: 11
Media Serial Pin: 12

If I'm reading those lines correctly they appear to contradict the written instructions and pictures for connections in the Octobanger example build doc page 11 here: http://buttonbanger.com/downloads/octobanger/octobanger_example_build.pdf

It shows the media serial PIN out to be A2 and the Trigger PIN Out to be A0?

Am I reading this wrong?

Incidentally I've tried shorting PIN 10 to see if I can manually trigger the scare sequence and nothing happens either, so I'm totally confused at the moment :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue as RattyVulcan, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as Ive done a few things to get my PIR working. But any direction on the Serial player would be great as the code from Octobanger and the instructions are quite different from each other. Thanks for any help!...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I figured it out...

Ok, so I had my SD card formatted in NTFS, which I found out had to be in FAT32, so I did that, put my mp3s back on it, plugged it in and it worked like a champ. RattyVulcan, give that a shot, works on pin 12 just as Mike intended.
I hope that's your problem, all those hours I spent trying to get my sorted out.. maybe this will help.. lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
What you're seeing in the instructions is the configuration for using a relay shield. The trigger pin 11 (low state with PIR, high with simple short to ground) is for a non-shield relay board.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Btw, had another fully successful night last night with octobanger. I had 6 running and they all triggered all night perfectly. So valuable, that little system! I encourage anyone who's using it to donate...

Anyway, this year, we decided to turn the last section of the line (we had about 2000 people go through last night) into a whole Hogwarts Express experience (our haunt is Harry Potter themed). I used the octobanger to run the whole sequence. Each side of our train had multiple 24" monitors installed which were dressed up to look like windows. When the sequence starts (hidden button mounted on one of the train car walls), the octobanger would trigger two Raspberry Pi video players (one for each side of the train car) to start playing footage of country side going by. A few moments in, the overhead lights would flicker and the "windows" would show Dementors attacking the train. A Hogwarts prefect would come in and perform the Patronus charm (blinding work light would pop on) to banish them. Then off to the Haunt they went!

It took a while to coordinate and get it all working, but it was a big hit.

1181 - 1200 of 1226 Posts