Haunt Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1226 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
... I used the octobanger to run the whole sequence. Each side of our train had multiple 24" monitors installed which were dressed up to look like windows. When the sequence starts (hidden button mounted on one of the train car walls), the octobanger would trigger two Raspberry Pi video players (one for each side of the train car) to start playing footage of country side going by. A few moments in, the overhead lights would flicker and the "windows" would show Dementors attacking the train. A Hogwarts prefect would come in and perform the Patronus charm (blinding work light would pop on) to banish them. Then off to the Haunt they went!
So, I would love to see a video or Pics of your setup...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is a link to shots of the whole haunt. I'll be posting video a bit later, which I'll link to once it's up.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hx1l2ackmduh72j/AABCshEmej06MMzMeyx4uKSZa?dl=0

Specifically the Hogwarts train controller set up:

I've got two Raspberry Pis configured as triggerable video players and are therefore wired in to two of the relays. When the sequence starts, the players each play their videos, which go into HDMI splitters to each of the computer monitors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The overhead lights that flicker are in another relay, and a bright LED worklight (the patronus being cast) is in the 4th relay. Worked perfectly all night long (and we had 2000 people).

·
Registered
162 Posts
So, I would love to see a video or Pics of your setup...
awesome, cant wait to see the vid!
Me too!

Did you have any trouble with the timing of the separate video and audio players?
I did an Octo triggered display this year with a BrightSign and Octo. Trying to get the MP3 audio to sync with the BrightSign video was no small task.

Wondering if using the Pi may be a better solution for the next project (I'm not Pi savy).

Your display is over the top cool!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Btw, had another fully successful night last night with octobanger. I had 6 running and they all triggered all night perfectly. So valuable, that little system! I encourage anyone who's using it to donate...
Donate to who? The web site is gone. I hope someone else will pick this project up!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have folks asking me so I'm asking in case anyone knows. Mike's content seems to be gone from buttonbanger.com. Anyone know what the new site is that replaces http://buttonbanger.com/ ? The server doesn't reply to http, but does to the httpS version of the URL https://buttonbanger.com/... however it replies that everything is missing.

I looked over the last few pages of this thread and didn't see any mention of this.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,068 Posts
His website went down once before and came back. I'm not sure if Mike's hosting is having issues, if he deleted it or something else happened. I was able to get to his website about 2 weeks ago. I've not tried in the past few days. Sad if its gone. I believe I downloaded both the button banger programs if you're looking for something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,

Ive read through a lot of the forum, and watched some videos, but i'm still confused about how to connect a solenoid valve to the controller. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? It would help so much.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello,

Ive read through a lot of the forum, and watched some videos, but i'm still confused about how to connect a solenoid valve to the controller. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? It would help so much.

Thanks in advance!
This is a solid state circuit that can switch up to 4 amps per channel and protects your arduino if one of the transistors fail. There is no electrical connection between the driver circuits and the arduino because of the use of the optocoupler. The circuit is designed for 24v solenoid valves.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Go to buttonbanger.com and download the original four banger package. It includes several PDFs that contain the information you need. I just went there and looked to make sure it is still there. The PDF you need to look at is the flyback diode one, it has photos and a good explanation. All of the PDFs apply to the octobanger and four banger. If you can't figure it out from the PDFs then let us know and we will explain further. FYI Hippie Crane's schematic is essentially the schematic for a 4 channel relay board which is readily available for a few bucks on Amazon or other sites. Depending on your connections you may want to add the flyback diode per the previously mentioned instructions as an additional precaution.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go to buttonbanger.com and download the original four banger package. It includes several PDFs that contain the information you need. I just went there and looked to make sure it is still there. The PDF you need to look at is the flyback diode one, it has photos and a good explanation. All of the PDFs apply to the octobanger and four banger. If you can't figure it out from the PDFs then let us know and we will explain further. FYI Hippie Crane's schematic is essentially the schematic for a 4 channel relay board which is readily available for a few bucks on Amazon or other sites. Depending on your connections you may want to add the flyback diode per the previously mentioned instructions as an additional precaution.
It's for a 4 channel solid state switching circuit that protects the arduino.. I cant stand relays so I always use solid state technology.

·
Registered
2 Posts
controller question

I am fairly new to this stuff so this may be a silly question but here we go. Can this prop controller be used to trigger a prop constructed using a wiper motor for movement and pair it with sound. Also can it trigger a smoke machine? Thanks in advance.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,068 Posts
nov2366 - the answer to both questions is Yes. The fog machine would require you to hack a push button remote to have the controller turn it on and off. I did that exact setup for my cannon prop.

1201 - 1220 of 1226 Posts