Haunt Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1247 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I am working on a python version that is similar. I built a near clone of the OctoBanger using a Teensy 4.1. It plays the ambient and scare without a MP3 player board. It can do PWM and servos too. Just got the display of the scare audio working today.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the prop automation game and have a few questions. I love the idea of the 8 relay controller and have most of the supplies in my card on Amazon. I am hoping someone can show me some pics or a diagram for the 8 channel hooked up and working.

I am trying to set something up for a non-profit organization that has a fright night every year as their major fundraiser and I would like to do something different this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I love that everyone is so helpful to everyone else, you don't see that very often in forums. Great job everyone.

· Registered
168 Posts

Here's a pic of my Octo's guts. The Uno switches 8 SSRs, which power the 8 outlets.
Channels 1-4 are powered from one line input, and 5-8 from another. I needed two separate circuits as I have four Jacob's Ladders plus motors and lights which draw too much current to run on just one circuit.
Cheers!

· Registered
3 Posts
@mikkojay
Hello, I am super new to using the arduino (like never used it), I just ordered all my parts and I’m waiting on all of them to arrive. I just discovered that within the past few days the buttonbanger site is no longer available. Will this be permanent? Guess I jumped on the bandwagon a little too late :-(

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,230 ·
@mikkojay
Hello, I am super new to using the arduino (like never used it), I just ordered all my parts and I’m waiting on all of them to arrive. I just discovered that within the past few days the buttonbanger site is no longer available. Will this be permanent? Guess I jumped on the bandwagon a little too late :-(
Thanks for the heads up- I spent some time on the phone with Godaddy and got the site issue sorted out (they changed something with hosting permissions). FYI, Godaddy's on-hold music will drive you mad!

Thanks, Mike

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't know too much about the 'bangers and it would depend a bit on what you mean 'control'. Some rudimentary movements through motors, etc - that might be possible. It's my impression the 'bangers have sensors and trigger relay outputs - I don't think they are set up for servo control. So you might get an 'arm up' / 'arm down' motion, but you really couldn't control a range of motion.

There is 'jawduino' which is set up servos and running a talking skull specifically. So if that is more along the lines of what you consider 'control', it may be worth looking into.

· Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone ben able to tie in servo control for a talking skeleton with the four / octo banger
Yes, the jawduino can be used with the Fourbanger or Octobanger controllers. The jawduino only needs an audio source which the controllers will provide. Use either the left or right track. My cannon build uses this exact setup, left channel for pirate (jawduino) and right channel for cannons and background audio.

the site is Buttonbanger.com

· Registered
6 Posts
Allan thanks you nailed it on the head... I wasn't thinking of using split audio tracks... Great work around

I still would love to see an update to the fourbangger interface to add a servo control track I could see a lot of use for this our even maybe a four relay & four servo banger ...

Commercial made controllers don't give the flexibility that this does without getting into dmx and my yard is way too big for that kind of wiring

· Registered
92 Posts
Allan thanks you nailed it on the head... I wasn't thinking of using split audio tracks... Great work around

I still would love to see an update to the fourbangger interface to add a servo control track I could see a lot of use for this our even maybe a four relay & four servo banger ...

Commercial made controllers don't give the flexibility that this does without getting into dmx and my yard is way too big for that kind of wiring
He is actually working on a servo adaptation. The issue is the file size. Servo positions use a lot of data. There is a guy that has written a plug-in for Blender, a program, that reduces the size of the servo movement file. I’m not sure yet how he does it but it can reduce the file size for servo control through Arduino. His YouTube video is here. This guys animatronics is off the hook however, way beyond my current level of ability.

· Registered
92 Posts
You can also try my flavor of Jawduino if you want more than just one movement(the jaw). I worked on making a whole random head movement plus jaw arduino sketch, which can be found here.
Do you have a video of it in action? I have been interested in your project, but haven’t built it yet. Also, can the audio come from an Octobanger controller as well? Your schematic seems it indicate that the audio signal can come from the Octobanger audio source if you added an audio jack or hard wire from the media player??

· Registered
354 Posts
So the Octobanger is an Arduino micro controller that is running code that Mike North developed. The Skull controller is different code and can not be run simultaneously on the same controller. The hardware parts are basically the same with the exception of the hack that Mike came up with to use the KA2284 module for jaw control. I guess what I am saying is that it will take two micro controllers to run an "Octobanger" and talking skull. I suppose you could hybridize the MP3 player to work with both micro controllers simultaneously but it might be buggy. you can use the MP3 player I used or the one that Mike used interchangeably for the most part. I think I have a video of the talking skull, I will see if I can find it.

· Registered
92 Posts
So the Octobanger is an Arduino micro controller that is running code that Mike North developed. The Skull controller is different code and can not be run simultaneously on the same controller. The hardware parts are basically the same with the exception of the hack that Mike came up with to use the KA2284 module for jaw control. I guess what I am saying is that it will take two micro controllers to run an "Octobanger" and talking skull. I suppose you could hybridize the MP3 player to work with both micro controllers simultaneously but it might be buggy. you can use the MP3 player I used or the one that Mike used interchangeably for the most part. I think I have a video of the talking skull, I will see if I can find it.
That’s what I meant, two controllers, I was just curious if the audio signal is all your controller setup needed for input.
I routinely mix and match controllers to make shows. My Jack Sparrow prop uses 3 different controllers together.

· Registered
354 Posts
Aah, I see what your saying. Yes you could split the audio signal and send it to the KA2284 that is attached to the skull Arduino and get jaw movement that way. FYI I made to renditions of the code. One for just jaw movement and the other has random head movements for three other servos for three axis skull builds. The caveat to my design is it requires loading a preliminary sketch that is used to set servo limits so that you don't damage servos by over driving them beyond the mechanical boundaries of you prop. It stores those limits in the EEPROM and then once you load the Skull sketch it accesses those limits to keep things aligned. The reason it is not all lumped together in one code was to make it all fit on a nano, and because I am not super good at coding.

1221 - 1240 of 1247 Posts