Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been completed for several years and serving as a stand up skeleton. He has been running off a PLC and CD player in the past years. This year he gets a makeover to be Frankentein's Monster running off DMX. Also added servo control to the jaw this year, also running off of DMX. Vixen software will allow me to change programs and voice much easier than reprogramming a PLC.

The skeleton head didn't work so I had to create a new armature for the mouth. Here is the armature without the mask.

Here is the completed head with mask installed.

OK, last video on this guy. He is finally completed as far as I'm going to go for this year.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
If he were in our yard, I believe we'd have folks coming back for return visits just to watch him:)

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
Amazing! I've always wanted to do something that elaborate, but cost was always a huge factor. Any Idea how much you have into this guy? I'm guessing you have over 10 cylinders, selenoids, a few servos, and the means to control it all (DMX). The metal is probably insignificant compared to the other mechanics.

Well Done!!

·
Something Wicked
2,119 Posts
Very nice. Animated props are always impressive and this is just top-tier. Can't wait for the makeover

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has 12 air cylinders, 11 solenoids and a 3 channel servo drive but I am currently only using one channel to control the jaw. Everything is controlled by DMX using a DIY interface boards. I have always worked at places that ended up getting rid of numerous air cylinders, PLC's, solenoids, etc. so they cost me nothing. If I had to buy everything I wouldn't be able to afford these either. If I had to guess all the pneumatics alone would run several $1000's.

Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nicely done! I love the shoulder/arm joint configuration - great solution for complex movement.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow, i bow to you sir, great job on the animation!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My God, that is impressive to another level there. That is jaw droppingly fantastic. You have got be an engineer. I am almost speachless after watching this video and seeing all the work and the beauty of the build on this thing. You sir get an AAAA+++++ for showing me such awe inspiring work. I hope someday i can work up to your level.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Very cool! I wish I was that skilled in mechanical/electrical. My only issue would be the mechanical sounds coming from the movement. Is that just loud due to where you were filming it, or is it normally going to "pop" like that? That's one of the reasons I've avoided pneumatics and servos...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The shoulder mechanics are my design. I laid everything out on CAD before cutting metal. This allowed be to work out the mechanics first.

Once you put props outside you don't hear any of the mechanical/pneumatic switching. My haunt has music and talking between characters. Between that and all the Tots talking/screaming you definitely don't hear any unwanted noises.

I haven't mounted the mask yet so don't know how well it will translate the mouth movement. Keeping my fingers crossed. Still trying to decide exactly how to anchor the mask to the skelly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts