Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start pulling some of the Spanish Moss out of the trees around the neighborhood. There is an insane amount of this stuff here in south GA. It looks like this...

I'm not sure if it grows up north, but if anyone needs a box full of this stuff, I would be more than happy to send it to you as long as you would pick up the shipping. It shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks. This stuff doesn't weigh that much. It looks great hanging off of tombstones, boarded windows, your house, etc. I can get free boxes from behind Wal Mart all day long, so just let me know.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just be careful Rookie, I did this a couple of years back for some forum members, and it all worked out fine, however, it IS illegal to ship invasive plant life (like spanish moss) to other states. The stuff you by in craft stores has been baked and is dead as a door nail, but the live plant is another matter entirely. Just don't want you accidently getting in hot water!

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Nice Moss Rookie..you could do a real nice spooky witch house with all that

thats true brad..I would check with your DNR to be sure.
I looked spanish moss up and found this in an article ..thought the ending was funny

WARNING
Don't use Spanish moss for bedding or packing without first treating it to kill tiny pests (especially red bugs or chiggers) that may be lurking within. Microwaving works well, as does heating or boiling in water. (Remove bats, lizards and snakes before microwaving.)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Ah yes, Spanish moss in the wild. You do know the stuff you buy is treated, right?

I went to Tulane U. in New Orleans for a year. A guy I knew had pledged a frat and was telling me that the house had decorated for a Bayou Blowout party. "What... spend money for dried spanish moss when it grows wild just a quick drive away? Baaahahahahah!" And, proud of their thriftiness, they collected lots of moss and decorated the frathouse on the cheap.

They didn't know that the craftstore stuff is fumigated. Spanish moss is like free-for-all HUD-housing for eleventy bazillion kinds of insect vermin. The house was quickly infested. Rashes and bumps for the rest of the year for everyone either living or spending any amount of time there.

If you get it in the wild, bake it or poison the hell out of it... you're establishing ties with much more than just the plant kingdom when when you bring that stuff in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL...Eleventy bazillon....thats hilarious. It's second nature for anyone around here that you never bring wild moss inside. If there is anything that redbugs love more than moss, it's carpet and pubic hair. I'm starting to rethink this whole thing. I JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO LIKE AND ACCEPT ME.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
First off, we accept most people that are as crazy as we are so dont worry about that. Really though this is a very friendly group of people and if you need to know something just ask. Information is freely shared here, no secret formulas here.
As for the moss. I wouldnt give up totally. If you have time, experiment with small amounts (trash bag full) and see what it takes to kill the insects with out to much trouble. Example, a few moth balls in a bag full for a few days, wrapping it in clear plastic an putting it in the sun for a few days to heat it up, remember baking doesnt mean burning it. Those solid pest strips maybe an option too. Play with it this season and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
take the moss outside, cover with plastic, and let the sun bake it out. That should kill everything. Just like they do with compost.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Okay, okay, eleventy bazillion was just a rough estimate, I wasn't trying to be precise.

But, give or take a zillion or two, I bet it's pretty damned close.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also believe there may be specific laws prohibited the removal or transport of Spanish Moss in some states. Seems like I remmeber something about that from a vacation through GA, but I might be thinking of cat tails in FL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts