Haunt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hauntlings!
Question for you all!
Gelatin creates some really awesome effects in makeup, but I'm wondering, if made thick enough, what the shelf life is?
I would really love to use it in some of the props I have going to create that goopy, dribbling effect especially since it's so cost effective!
I usually combine about 1 TBSP of gelatin with 1-2 TBSP of water to create the makeup effects.
If used in a prop, would I have to be concerned about it going bad?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am not sure, but seems to me that it would not last long...might even become more watery as time passes. Your best bet is to mix some up in a bowl, keep an eye on it for a day or two.and see what the results are

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could try mixing in a small amount of bleach if you're using it on a prop. On a person that would dry out someone's skin and be toxic if ingested, but if you're just putting it on a prop it should be fine. If I have anything with liquid I add a bit to keep anything from growing in it, and it works just fine. I don't see why, in theory it wouldn't keep gelatin from getting moldy and nasty any worse than it does for water.

My only concern would be that it might cause the gelatin to be less firm, or react strangely. Test it in a small batch first and see how it works!

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
I made a mixture of knox gelatin and something else. I'll have to see what I used, but it was just melted together and then set up. I did this last year and I still have some in the glass cup I made it in and it looks fine. I will see if I can find it and let you know what it was made with.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
When I first started out doing prosthetic work, I made simple gelatin prosthetics and honed my skills from there. Here is some info that I think will help you. It explains the method, bloom strengths (the strengh of gelatins after being cured), and other topics that I think will answer a lot of your questions. Hope this helps and good luck. http://www.halloweenfear.com/GelatineProsthetics1.html I understand you want if for props and not prosthetics, but it should still point you in the general direction to help you. R.I.P.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Ok found it. It was gelatin and glycerin mixed together. Here is a vid showing how to make it and use it.

I have had this stuff setting around uncovered for about a year now and it looks fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts