Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked-up this silk night-shirt for $5 and I'm going to use it for a ghost in my haunted garage. I want it to fit my low-light spooky theme but not quite sure what I want. Right now it's to "pristine" and glows to bright after I washed it in Rite. I know that's hard to see in the pic but, it is to bright. If it looked like it does in the photo it would be perfect.

I was thinking of having an hang-mans noose with the shirt hanging below it like someone had hanged them self but, there would be no head between the shirt and noose. I'm also thinking of cutting the bottom into strips and subduing it by painting it with tea or coffee.

Also how do I "fill-in" the shirt to make it look like a body's is inside cheap?

Ideas are welcome….

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Brainstorms...

As far as a noose goes, you could paint a wig stand black, tie the noose and hotglue it to the stand. Then chop the stand right above the noose. The bottom of the wig stand will keep it on the shirt, the hot glue and tension of the rope will keep it on the noose.

-or- maybe use a fruit can, paint it black- tie the noose around that and hot glue, then hotglue the shirt to it. That will give you the neck, but no shoulders.

As far as chest, glue posterboard into a circle and hot glue it into the shirt.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
I think as long as you get the top spread a part with some wire, it won't matter. Most people won't be able to tell between the 2d part and 3d. It should blend in with out any problems.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
You might get away with using the pipe foam insulator. Use coat hanger and then glue the foam insulator on top. If too big, melt it a little.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Oh yes, that was very easy and quick, I made that in 20 minutes I think.
A few PVC t's, and pipe, a piece of pool noodle for shoulders, a wighead, wig, and a white plastic shopping bag.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd go with the coat hanger body frame, or maybe even chicken wire. If you want a really ethereal look, you want as little there as possible, and no one will see the wire beneath the glowing dress. As far as subduing the RIT glow, RIT fades after a while. Also, running it through the washer a second time with no detergent or RIT should dim it a bit. Ripping the bottom and using coffee and tea to stain it sounds excellent. It'll really show up nicely in contrast to the bright blue glow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions all, I've tried the coat-hanger idea but it doesn't give the that "full-body" look I want. I like the posterboard idea and I think that will give me the look I'm searching for.

TipoDeemin, I'll give it a wash and tea treatment and see how it looks after that.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
These are excellent ideas. Last year I put my old wedding dress (married 2 X so I had an extra lol) in my window with the black light and it didnt really work,,,, because no RIT... I will pick up something lighter and try that for this year...
Thanks for all the ideas and asking the q Eyes! I cant wait to see how it turns out..

·
Registered
63 Posts
An idea that I was planning on trying was to use a dress with a chicken-wire frame inside. Inside, the bottom would be blocked off and a small fan would be used to make the material billow. A small amount of fog would be blown in to the fan and blue LED's would either be in or pointed at where the neck and hands would be with a blacklight to illuminate the dress. I'm hoping that this would create an effect where it looks like the ghost has only a wind form with the glowing fog escaping where the hands and neck would be.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's how my ghost looks after taking a knife to the bottom and sleeves and pouring a half pot of coffee on it. I love the look now and the contrast between the stained parts and the pure white is just what I'm looing for.

I've got some posterboard and will try that out this weekend. id, I'm also going to use a fan to give it a little movment.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's looking really good, Eyes!

Man, now we've got another Utah haunter here! Hello, .id.! I think that makes four of us now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TipoDeemin said:
That's looking really good, Eyes!

Man, now we've got another Utah haunter here! Hello, .id.! I think that makes four of us now.
Thanks Tipodeemin and Hellrazor, I'm happy with the way it turned out. BTW Tipodeemin and id do you guys/gals shop at the DI for your Halloween prop supplies? I've picked-up a number of things and love this place (both the one in Ogden and the one in Layton) for the odds-and-ends needed to make a good display/haunt. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Eyes_in_the_dark said:
Thanks Tipodeemin and Hellrazor, I'm happy with the way it turned out. BTW Tipodeemin and id do you guys/gals shop at the DI for your Halloween prop supplies? I've picked-up a number of things and love this place (both the one in Ogden and the one in Layton) for the odds-and-ends needed to make a good display/haunt. :D
Thanks! I just moved here from Phoenix and I'm looking forward to being able to do more here. As for shopping, I've found cheap stuff at DI too....Like the head for my FCG. I'll have to start haunting...er...frequenting the DI here. If you're interested you can check out my pictures from last year:
http://i-su-root.com/Halloween/2005/2005.html
.....Nothing special, just me having fun.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I check the DI from time to time, but Home Depot probably sees much more of me. I seem to have bad luck with the DI for some reason; every time I go there, they haven't got what I'm looking for. Maybe I should go in with a more open mind, rather than deciding from the outset that there's one particular thing I want.

By the way, .id., nice pics. :) I love that last one of your FCG. Are those tombstones bought or made?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks! My FCG is still not the way I want it....But it was a big hit last year. The tombstones were a last minute purchase from Party City. They look ok, but I'd like to make my own this year (if I have enough time). I've probably done more of my decorating (at least last year) from HD...Particulary for the Crypt. I guess it's just being able to see what the junk from DI can become.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts