Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Story

Edmond was the misunderstood son of a craftsman who designed carousels (as his father had before him). When the local amusement park wanted the jewel of the fairground crown redesigned, no one was as surprised as Edmond when the task was appointed to him.

"Just base the design on childhood dreams that brought you joy", his father said. Edmond hesitantly took the advice.

At the unveiling, Edmond had hoped for smiles and cheers, but received looks of horror from family and patrons alike. The children were too frightened to approach - nevermind ride - his creation. Even adding Christmas elements failed to lure them back. The carousel was abandoned, neglected and left to decay - the same fate suffered by poor Edmond.

[nomedia="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1beJ-xuPDg8"]301 Moved Permanently[/nomedia]

To view the photographs used in the slideshow, please visit this Art Ghoullery album.

Materials

Cardboard - free
Newspaper - free
Cotton Balls - free
Pop Bottle - free
Packing Styrofoam - free
Broom Straw - free
Wire Hangers - free
Duct tape - free
Music Box $4.65
2 Necklaces - $4.30
Tinfoil - .35
Delight Paper Clay - $5.37
Styrofoam Ball - .25
Paper Cut outs (Pack of 200 = $6.70. Used 6) - .18
Wire - .15
Wooden Skewers (pack of 100 for .99. Used 10) - .10
Mirror sheet (cost $2.69 Used small strip) .20
8 paper frames - $3.98
Acrylic Paint - (blue, white, black $1.32 - dabs of brown, yellow, red, green, mustard, silver . 66) - $1.98
Grey Latex paint - .10
1/4 cup Glue .17
couple strips of tape - .11
card stock - .35
3 toothpicks - .01
corner piece of fine sand paper - .10 (?)
snippet of ribbon from dollar store - .03

TOTAL
$22.08 Canadian = $21.24 American

How-To Summary/Required Object Highlights

The middle section is a pop bottle that is duct taped to a plastic wind up music box. The tent is supported by coat hangers and covered in paper mache. The base, the rim of the tent section, and some of the figures have a packing styrofoam base and are fleshed out by cotton balls. All were covered in paper mache and some finished with a layer of paperclay. The owls' nest is weaved using broom bristles.

I posted a how to on this forum that has fewer pics than the original, but full descriptions.

To see a complete how-to, please visit this section in Horrific How Tos (it's a long one).

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
That is so stinkin' awesome. Very creative. The slide show and video really bring this project to life.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,242 Posts
Very spooky, everyone here will want one. Start up the production line.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice detail. The backstory is interesting. I want to know more about Edmund. I am imagining an adventure/story behind each of the figures. Could be a childrens book or books in there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Poor Edmond...next time you see him tell him I can relate. His work on that carousel is top notch, no matter what the townies say.( Man, I sure hope I don't end up abandoned and left to decay too)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I feel so sorry for poor Edmond... if I were in that crowd I would have cheered. In fact it would have been my favorite ride. I think I'd ride on the Fiji mermaid. And I'd invite my friends, and with no lines we'd ride over and over.

GF, that is without a doubt one of the coolest homemade things I have ever seen. Gorgeous. And BoysInBoo is right... that backstory could be expanded. Katy Towell could do an awesome storybook animation with that I bet. So could you if you know how to program Flash... if you do, please let me audition for the narration! I'd be proud to be associated with that.

Outstanding. Simply outstanding.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
i agree with Rev....that carousel is awesome! I'd be the first to ride it!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
More of Edmond's Story

During the many hours I was working on this (and believe me, there were MANY hours), Edmond's story played out in my head. Isn't it sad? I think it resonates with me from my experience as a haunter/halloweener/artist, whatever: creating and seeing beauty in things that others don't understand or appreciate.

SO since people have asked, here's a bit more of the tale. It doesn't get any happier. There was a terrible series of events where things went from bad to worse. Here it is, summarized:

"The amusement park was actually the life blood of the little town Edmond lived and grew up in.

His father had always been a well respected man, and in a sleepy town like Edmond's, events like the unveiling of a new carousel theme was bigger than the Mayoral election (which had become an even hotter topic of discussion since the upset of 1994 when, shockingly, Mr. Horbury - up for re-election - was beaten by Thomas Ackery, the local dairy farmer. But that's another story).

In regards to the carousel, Edmond had searched recollections of his childhood imaginary friends, fond memories and dreams for inspiration. Bringing them to life made the usually quiet and awkward Edmond feel...well...like he belonged to something. Like he was soaring.

At the unveiling, the town folk gave a collective gasp. Initially, Edmond thought the beauty of it all had taken their breath away. Then he saw the horror in their eyes - first directed at the carousel, and then at him.

Mothers covered the eyes of their children. Fathers gathered their families closer before leading them away.

Worse than the look of horror was the immense shame he saw in his father's expression. The only thing his father said to him was "The failure isn't yours. It's mine."

People stopped going to the amusement park. Adding Christmas decorations to the carousel just provoked accusations that it was an abomination to a sacred season. The park owner, Mr Turbol (who genuinely had an affection for Edmond and had known him since Edmond was a small child) was forced to remove the carousel from the grounds.

Trouble was, small towns being what they are, people talk. Rumours had been burning through the town that Edmond was touched by evil. This morphed into the amusement park being haunted. And so on, and so on.

The park eventually had to close.

Edmond's father couldn't get work at any neighbouring towns. He was a shell of the man he once was, and barely spoke to his son anymore. The following winter, he would pass away from congestive heart failure, which Edmond interpreted simply as a broken heart.

That's when Edmond left for exile, without a single protest. When he reached the townline, he could swear he heard that horrible gasp which escaped the crowd that fateful day. Only this time, instead of being a sound filled with the crowd's horror, it expressed their relief."

I'd love to see this fully fleshed out. It was the first thing my boyfriend said when I told him the story (he was thinking comic book). Edmond will have his tale told somehow. Right now I have a life size mascot bunny to try and build for my theme this year!

Thanks so much for the kind comments everyone...and for caring about Edmond. The carousel, I suppose, is my homage to everyone who has seen or created beauty where others saw none.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
that is one cool prop..
I can see this life sized and
I was thinking movie (and johnny depp as edmond ...)
very good detail ghoul..and great story
I realy like it .

·
Panic time is here!
3,835 Posts
Very cool.. A carousel with a reaper and a mummy..

I wonder if anybody would have the nerve to ride that mummy with the position he is in, LOL!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very cool.. A carousel with a reaper and a mummy..

I wonder if anybody would have the nerve to ride that mummy with the position he is in, LOL!
Hee hee hee. I thought the same thing when I was building it. I wanted it to be a spooky look, and a scary figure to ride (impalement is always unpleasant).

At first I didn't have the pole centred in his chest and it looked very x-rated. I was quick to fix that ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts