Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're closing in on the end of the first Horror Movie Death Match Tourney. I even have candidates for the Second Coming. :D But, lets not jump before this one's over, as we get right into the last match of the Quarter-Finals.

Alien

vs.

Silence of the Lambs

In their preliminaries, both flicks did very well. Which will manage to snag victory from their opponent and head to the Semi-Finals and maybe to the Final match of this first clash. Can the acid-blood velociraptor look-a-likes take out a suave doctor with a taste for human flesh, or will the evil psychiatrist serve up hostile alien life forms as smorgasbord? Get to the polls which are now open people and put one of these fine films another step closer toward the finish line.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Silence of the Lambs. It's not exactly more technical, but more complex and a little more rewarding. Alien is a sterling example of what sci-fi horror should be but there are just a few more stiff moments here than in Silence. So, serve up a SECOND helping of Lambchops for me, please.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alien gets my vote. THis film has stood the test of time, when others made after it in the same vein have failed. With the possible exception of In The Mouth Of Madness this movie is as close to being an H. P. Lovecraft film in all but name. You can feel the tension from the Nostromo crew bleeding from the screen as they are stalked by a thing that has never been encountered before by humans. H. R. Giger's alien and space craft design are still amazing after all these years. Silence is a great film, but it's Alien all the way for me.

Alien: 1

Silence of the Lambs: 1

·
Banned
155 Posts
Alien by a landslide! Silence of the lambs is great don't get me wrong, but who can honestly resist H.R. Gigers big black horrific creations.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I gotta go with Silence here. I like the Alien well enough, but it drags in a good many areas. Not much happens until the facehugger makes an appearance. Silence is full of madness. A strangely "civilized" madness, but madness nonetheless.

However, I do think Ridley Scott is a better director than Jonathan Demme, but I'm not judging the directors here, and in the case of these two films, I think Demme wins out.

Alien: 2
Silence of the Lambs: 2

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope to hell this isn't another tie. If it is, I'm going to get Z to flip the coin in a best two out of three toss. If I did it again and Alien won, you guys would probably think that I was stacking the odds in the favor of the film I voted for. I didn't the last time. Honest.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Sinister said:
I hope to hell this isn't another tie. If it is, I'm going to get Z to flip the coin in a best two out of three toss. If I did it again and Alien won, you guys would probably think that I was stacking the odds in the favor of the film I voted for. I didn't the last time. Honest.
Sure, sure. "Silence of the Lambs". Problem solved.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps not. There are still a few days left before I declare a winner and we move onto the finals. Maybe some of the newbies will vote and then it could swing either way. ;)

·
Banned
373 Posts
Sinister said:
It's against my nature, but I trusted you last time and I will again. However, it might not come to that. Right now, if I'm not mistaken, Silence has 3 votes and Alien has 2. And in the event I don't see Shaun of the Dead before it's next round, I'm going to vote for the one I have seen.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's now 4-2 with Silence of the Lambs in the lead. Saturday, is the cut-off day. So if you want to put Alien in the lead or keep Lecter out front, you only have a few days to do so and then the polls close. So get those votes in NOW!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sinister said:
It's now 4-2 with Silence of the Lambs in the lead. Saturday, is the cut-off day. So if you want to put Alien in the lead or keep Lecter out front, you only have a few days to do so and then the polls close. So get those votes in NOW!
Alien, I can kill Lechter, I ain't going against 1 little lone 1000 of those Aliens.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The count is now 5-3, with Silence of the Lambs still in front. Lecter can be killed in all those ways that Don stated. However, you stand a better chance of taking him out than things that are just death personified in more ways than one.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Don of the Dead said:
Shoot Him, stab Him, throw him off a bridge, run him over, show him Nude Photos of Rosie O Donnell and watch his head explode. He's Human, so you'd have a fighting chance, good luck with the Aliens. Even IF you get in a good hit, 2 words: acid blood.
So, you're saying the Alien(s) are scarier? I can see that. However, now I feel compelled to say that I never have that consideration when choosing a film for these 'death matches'. I wonder why that is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Doctorthingit said:
So, you're saying the Alien(s) are scarier? I can see that. However, now I feel compelled to say that I never have that consideration when choosing a film for these 'death matches'. I wonder why that is.
So, how should we vote? Most popular? I kinda went with, if I had to be stuck in a building with one or the other, which would I be able to kill. Aliens had speed, stealth, agility, and are hard to kill (if you don't have a pulse rifle)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.