Haunt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Clean "cut"
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
$16.53-Cat Skeleton fond on Amazon
5.25-20" posable skeleton found on sale on CostumePub
1.25-0ne 72" black corded shoe lace ($2.50 a pair)
.50-toy car from thrift store
.70-4 yd. cord (18.99/109 yd.=.174 x 4 yd)
.60-4 cup flour ($1.49/5#{80 oz}=.0186 x 32 oz)
.06-6 teaspoons salt ($1.48/26oz.=.0 569 {6 t. = 1 oz})
.54-2 LED balloon lights ($15.99/60 = .2665 x 2)
.25-small skeleton from 4 piece garland ($1.00/4 = .25)
.64--craft paint, green, black, white (1.27/2 oz=.635 x 1 oz)
.44-45" black craft wire (5.23/45'=.1162/12" =.0096" x 45")
2.12-8 oz black paint ($8.47/32 oz=.2646 x 8 oz)
4.50-8 oz orange paint ($17.99/32 oz = .562 x 8 oz)
.06-1/10 oz Elmer's glue ($4.99/9 oz= .56 oz x 1/10oz)
.08-1/4 stick hot glue ($5.99/20 sticks= .30 stick x .25)
FREE----plastic bags
FREE----newspapers
FREE----paper bags
FREE----wire hanger
FREE----dryer lint
$33.52 TOTAL

Use a large plastic shopping bag and fill with enough plastic bags to make your pumpkin shape. Tie some cord around the pumpkin in 3 places top to bottom to make some ridges.
Make Paper Mache (I used 4 cups flour to a bit over 4 cups water and 6 teaspoons salt). I made 5 layers of Mache with 1 day drying between each layer. I use a different paper for each layer so I can easily see where I might have missed a spot (alternated torn newspaper with torn paper bags).
Cut the top off and take out all the bags (and recycle them). Cut your chosen face into the front (I made a notch in the bottom center of each eye). Then I used dryer lint mixed with Paper Mache to outline the eyes, nose and mouth. I didn't like how the teeth turned out so I cut that out and made different teeth with cardboard which I Elmer glued to the inside of the mouth.
I painted the inside black and the outside a specially blended orange.
Next came a mix of craft paints, ½ oz. of woodland green, ¼ oz. of black and ¼ oz. of white. I dry brushed this on the eye, nose and mouth ridges and in areas on the pumpkin body.
I hot glued an LED balloon light in the notch I had made in the lower center of each eye making sure to position them so I could turn them on and off.
Take the top off the toy car and wire the bottom to the pumpkin in 3 spots using black craft wire.
Using a wire coat hanger I cut a piece big enough to shape into a bit to fit the cat skeleton's mouth. String 1 of the 72" black corded shoe laces through the bit, put the bit in the cat's mouth and run the 2 ends to the pumpkin. Put the 20" posable skeleton in the pumpkin and thread the shoelace ends through the fingers.
Put a mini skeleton popping out of one of the eyes.
Turn the eyes on and WALLAH!!

(Be sure to click on the link below for pictures)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9W7JHW

·
Super Moderator
64,107 Posts
Hey, everyone knows you can't steer with a cat!:D

Kids will love this. It's cute.

100_2670

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gee--I've been talking and HairRazor's been making!

I might make it in time yet. I had a frame made, but the next material I needed was roadside clay. Got delayed by rain (which also dropped some of the bedroom ceiling onto the floor when the roof leaked and had to repair that). The first bit I got was too sandy. Then it rained again. Then I threw out my back. But go some clay yesterday so maybe I'm back on track.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:I love it! Of course, cats are not famous for their following a lead, but maybe a skeleton cat will be better at it!:D It's a fun and creative prop, and I love the pumpkin!

·
Clean "cut"
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind words. It is just a fun whimsical project that is super easy to make

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
That’s one fun Halloween prop!

·
Clean "cut"
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you ^ two

·
Clean "cut"
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Go for it (and thanks)

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Great idea Jan! I agree with FG, it reminded me of the vintage graphics of animals pulling a cart. Thumbs up!

·
Clean "cut"
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks you 3 and glad you found pumpkin creepy, matrixmom
Copchick, it is a bit reminiscent of days gone by

1 - 17 of 17 Posts