.20--cooking spray at $1.00 a can from Dollar Tree
.15--skull picture from printer
.13--clear contact paper, 9"x9" piece from 18"x24' roll at $7.99
.94--Quikrete, 12# from 60# bag for $4.69
.55--Hardware cloth, 8"x8" piece from 12"x24" at $2.49
.59--Acrylic Concrete Cure & Seal-Quikrete, 3 oz. from 1 gal. at $24.99
$6.31--TOTAL

Hope my math is correct.

Put a saucer between a folded towel and use a hammer to break it up. I used 2 bone colored saucers and 1 black small plate broken 1 at a time. Be sure to wear protective eye gear as a precaution. I put the pieces in 2 containers, 1 for black and 1 for white.

I used a 9" square cake pan.

Printed a skull from the internet.

Sprayed the inside sides of the cake pan liberally with cooking spray, wiped out the bottom excess with a paper towel being careful not to take any from the sides.

Cut the skull print to fit the bottom of the pan and placed it there picture side up.

Cut the clear contact paper to fit the bottom of the pan, peeled the paper layer off and placed the clear sheet in the bottom with the sticky side up.

Start piecing the broken bits of glass to cover your design pushing them firmly so they stick to the paper. Leave around 1/8" between pieces, give or take.

Save

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hairazor's Aug. 2016 entry

Cut a piece of Hardware Cloth (or chicken wire) about 8" square

Dot this part outside. Wear protective breathing mask and protective gloves, mix your Quikrete with water to a thick pudding consistency

Put the mix carefully over the design about one inch thick and smooth out

Put your Hardware cloth on top then fill the pan up with more mix and smooth it level. After it hardens about an hour or so I wiped the excess off the rim of the pan.

I waited 3 days then put a board over the pan, picked it up and carefully turned it over, the stone should come right out.

Pull off the pattern and contact paper

Use a damp sponge to wipe the design
Save

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hairazor's Aug. 2016 entry

You may need to gently scrape areas to get any cement off pieces of the design where the cement seeped over it.

Wipe the stone again with a damp sponge and flush the stone with water to get all the residue off.

If you have any holes in the cement you can fill them in with more cement and repeat the cleaning when it has cured but I wanted it to look old so did not.

Let it sit for 6 or 7 days and seal the stone. Do this outside using protective eye gear and rubber gloves. Use a paint brush to put a layer of sealant (I used Acrylic Concrete Cure & Seal-Quikrete) on the top and 2/3 way down the sides being sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.

After 6 or 7 days it should be good to go.

Save

·
Super Moderator
64,190 Posts
I want a path of those leading to our shed!

Beautifully done, HR, and so DIY crafty. Martha Stewart would be proud of you:jol:

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:That is super clever and very useful! I love it! Nothing puts the Halloween in your step like skull stepping stones. Very creative Jan!:D I seriously am going to try this for some stepping stones for my shed. Currently I have boring, Lowe's pebble pavers and they are so boring I almost fall asleep every time I step on them.:rolleyekin:

·
Registered
736 Posts
And kudos to you for your emphasis on safety. It's easy for people to forget that all this fun can pose safety hazards.

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Hey, nice job Jan! I think a collection of these stepping stones would look pretty cool.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,242 Posts
Very cool, now if you make 30 or so more you can have a full path. :)

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all you loverly haunters for your positive remarks, I enjoyed making this and as usual for my props, it is so easy anyone can do it.

Haunted Spider: "So your telling me I can break a plate at home on "accident" and made a stepping stone. My wife may not buy that."

Ummmm, yes??

spinwitch: "And kudos to you for your emphasis on safety. It's easy for people to forget that all this fun can pose safety hazards."

People sometimes don't think of the possibility of what can happen, best not to take chances

Spooky1: "Very cool, now if you make 30 or so more you can have a full path."

My yard is so small 30 of them might cover it, heehee

1 - 20 of 29 Posts