Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Necro Rising
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get the new Graphic Design forum going!

Making a new yard haunt sign or tombstone epitaph but don't have the perfect font to do it with? Let's create a running list of free, Halloween-themed font sites from across the web! I've gathered a few sites throughout the years and have an ever-growing stash of great, free fonts that I use on all of my projects:

Chad Savage/Sinister Visions Sinister Fonts

DaFont Halloween, Horror, and Destroy sets

Fontspace Halloween fonts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I'm going to stick this thread because I already know this is going to be a very useful one. :)

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
Time to get the new Graphic Design forum going!
Good call highbury... this will be the best forum on this site :)

I probably should have posted these fonts in this thread but I didn't..

Two Nightmare Before Christmas fonts:
  • The Gingerbread House

• Nightmare Before Christmas

"The Gingerbread House" application:
*Note: I had to improvise and create my own punctuation since this font did not have any.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Neat and surely useful thread. Any way to get previews on here without having to visit each individual link? (especially useful if this thread grows beyond a few pages) ((and also feel free to delete this either way... if the concept is unworkable, or implemented))

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Neat and surely useful thread. Any way to get previews on here without having to visit each individual link? (especially useful if this thread grows beyond a few pages) ((and also feel free to delete this either way... if the concept is unworkable, or implemented))
I will build some sample pages with the font names done using those same fonts, and I'll try to list the foundry and or location so that you can find it.
But I won't be able to post them 'til tomorrow evening at the earliest. Photobucket doesn't like my browser's version.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
LegacyOfDefeat.com is running a killer sale on all of it's fonts. Just $2 a font, but this deal ends on Tuesday (0924/13). Lots of good potential haunt fonts there.

·
Registered
687 Posts
On my Mac Pro I use Suitcase Fusion to store fonts and categorize them into folders because I have a lot. Adobe ATM was better in the old days imho. But this on keeps them in a "Vault". I use Macromedia FreeHand MX (an oldie but goodie), Adobe Illustrator (a pain the vector-based drawing ass imho), Adobe inDesign for page layout (it's pre-flight feature helps with missing links and fonts), and Photoshop (for pushing pixels) all CS4.

I'm a pro graphic designer. But I haven't done any Halloween stuff. I said elsewhere I'd rather be a photographer or videographer. As far as Halloween goes. I'd rather DIY props.

btw, I didn't do the Fright Zone avatar. That's from an old haunt at Cedar Point amusement park's HalloWeekends annual event. It's on a peninsula. they use over 150 foggers and 3k gallons of fog juice. It showed up as a fog bank on weather radar once when they burned off all the remaining fog juice on the final day.

If I ever get to it I'll post a gallery what their pro designs for their haunt signs look like.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This is a link to (i think)15 pages of typeface/font samples that you might find helpful for your haunt or party.
If you would like this in a single PDF file, drop me a PM with your email address.
Note: Many, but not all, of these fonts are free, others are low cost, but there are a few that cost a chunk of change. If you need or want something typeset in one of these fonts or even others, again, drop me a PM with your email address, we can swap needed info that way. Also, if you need a typeface converted from format to another, let me know, that service is free too. I will not give non-freeware/non-shareware type faces away, but I will happily do work for you in your choice of font(s).

FrightZone, I hear you on ATM over Fusion/Suitcase. Ahh, the old days.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I hope those help some people, but keep in mind that ANY fonts or typefaces can be used or tweaked for Halloween/haunt pieces. Like anyplace else, some will work better in some situations than others.
I know for me, keeping a "catalog" or set of sample pages for different flavors of fonts can help me solve challenges, and can often spur the creative process too.
Having samples of the type in straight/normal lines of text is great, but often times we need or want to have on a curve, an angle, or distorted in shape, and there is no substitute for seeing the actual font and wording set in those levels of distortion to see if they will or won't work for you and the job at hand.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You might look at foundries or websites for foundries like http://decadetypefoundry.bigcartel.com/.
Keep in mind that any font can be distorted, aged, eroded, dripping or melting, etc., and that having two or three different typefaces on a flyer instead of just trying to use the same font for everything, Can make your stuff easier to read and to remember. A contrast in styles lets each font call out for attention BECAUSE they are in contrast to one another.
The eye/brain needs to have contrast between the type and the areaa around or behind it. Having Thin or difficult to read set on a busy background typically makes it difficult, if not impossible, to read.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
FYI.
There is a great sale going on now, and a different one on New year's day.
The one going on now is at LegacyOfDefeat.com $24 buys you a bunch of neat fonts as well as a boatload of vector clipart.
The sale for January first is at ComicBookFonts.com. All of their fonts will be on sale for only $20.14, but that sale is ONLY on December thirty-first.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Only two or so hours left on the Comicraft (comicbookfonts.com) sale!
Don't get stuck in the mind set that only something listed as a "Halloween" or "Horror" font is usable for your haunt graphics.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts