1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"New" holiday called Halloween
By Elaine Lies
1 hour, 10 minutes ago

Ghosties and ghoulies, princesses and pumpkins took to the streets of Tokyo this weekend as Japan celebrated one of its newest festivals -- Halloween.

Little known two decades ago, Halloween has spread in cities such as Tokyo, where autumn now sees florists selling pumpkins, shopping arcades festooned with paper Jack o'lanterns -- and even black-and-orange costumes for dogs on offer at pet shops.

Halloween, as Japan now knows it, is unabashedly American, and few Japanese know much about its origins. "It's a time to dress up and have fun," said Yukiko Kobayashi, 34, whose 4-year-old daughter Kao wore a princess costume while watching a Halloween parade at Tokyo Disneyland.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1162105741243W643

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It makes sense that the Japanese would celebrate this because of their CosPlay antics. Interesting article

14,925 Posts
I wonder if there are any haunters in japan?
Not sure about that, but I do know that dressing up for Halloween is getting bigger. I had my 1st shipment to Japan last year along with 1 phone call wanting an express shipment for a costume.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I lived in Okinawa, Japan for 11 years.
There is a large American military community there, so there is probably more exposure to Halloween than in mainland Japan.
We lived off-base, and we got Japanese(Okinawan) trick-or-treaters every year. Most of them weren't wearing costumes, but some were.
Those locals that were lucky enough to have American friends would go on-base to trick-or-treat.

My wife and I put together a few haunts and Halloween parties for the U.S. Army unit I was attached to.

This was long before we went completely crazy for Halloween.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I know they've had dark rides and funhouses there for a good while, and a few pro haunts. I know the Japanese aren't the most emotionally expressive folks on the planet but they love a good laugh and have pretty twisted senses of humor (check out some of their weird game shows).

The pro haunt I'd most like to do if I could afford to do one would probably take off better there than it would here, ironically. It's a sci-fi horror concept that sprouted from seeds that anime and J-horror were probably responsible for sowing in the first place. If only I could speak Japanese... and have a great big pile of money...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts