Haunt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang...I have my hangman almost completed. I built a 12ft gallows and have a pretty realistic looking hangman. I used the bucket with a wiper motor in it to power the movement. Unfortunately, the movement sucks...

I have the motor wired properly, to the high speed post so its going as fast as its going to go. I am using a small chain with a 5lb weight attached to it. The motor runs with no strain visually, but I dont know that for sure. I hear no low sounds or a struggling motor.

The guy is hanging fine but the movement is really bad, hardly at all. What can I do to get MORE movement out of him? Should I reduce the weight on the chain? I figured more weight = more "spastic" movements, but that is not the case. My thoughts are if i use a lighter weight, even less movement will happen. I can get a 2lb sinker from the fishing store.

The legs I used are 2x2 pine, not PVC with hinges. I did not attach the bungie cords to the legs as this restricted the movement even more. I removed all the padding in his legs thinking it was a weight problem but it makes no difference. If you have made one like this how was your movement?

I DONT have time to recreate a new hangman from a dancing santa or other animated figure, I need to get the most out of this one or it will become a static prop. Any ideas you haunting geniuses???

Need...help....quickly....running out...of .......time..ughhh (said in William Shatners voice)

·
Registered
96 Posts
sometimes if you put some weight in the feet, it really gets the thing going. also, how baggy are the pants. if the clothes are too loose, you cant see the body kicking around inside them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Linkage ls something like this...

The motor is upside down at the top of the bucket, centered. The motor has a 2" piece of flat steel on the shaft which connects to the chain. When powered, the motor spins the flat bar & chain which in turn, spins the weight inside the bucket.

Do I want the chain to be closer to the outer edge of the flat bar OR do I want it attached closer to the wiper motor shaft? I can play with it but thought maybe someone has gone thru this before. I am not sure this even makes sense to anyone. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for all the replies!!

Melty

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,222 Posts
Hey anyone know where I can get a How To on this?? I am wanting to make one, but I am looking for more of a jerking movement. THANKS

·
Registered
542 Posts
Another thing to do is to move the legs as far to the front of the bucket as possible.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,222 Posts
I wanted a little smaller kicking more like writhering action. I am making it my spider victim. Im not a big fan of hangings but the movement is cool. I would like to use a big spider off of my roof and then have him hanging in front of my garage. The slower the movement Im thinking more realistic and then maybe a jerk here and there. What do ya think? Anyone got any how to ideas?

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
hey melty got a vid of your guy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.