Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magician says, "OOPS"!

What do you do when you obtain a pair of plastic display legs for free? You build a magician's assistant who really gets sawn in half.
I made one purchase, which was the pvc pipe I used for the legs. Everything else was in my house or garage but I assigned prices to stuff that I had purchased previously.

HEAD, HAND and FEET
Styrofoam wig head = 3.00
Eyeball novelty rings x 2 = .20
Nude hose = 1.00
Wig given to me by my mother-in-law = 0.00
Eyeliner, blush and nailpolish from my bathroom = 0.00
Rubber novelty hand = 2.00
Plastic display feet = 0.00 (I saw them and asked if they were for sale. The man gave them to me.)
Ponytail holder = 0.00

Total for this part = $6.20

I carved out holes in the head with a blade to insert the rings to give her eyes.
I used some blush on the face to reduce the white appearance. Gray pencil eyeliner gave her some eye definition and eyebrows. I used a few strokes of red and black nail polish for the mouth. The nailpolish ate through the styrofoam, which made it look like she has teeth. A couple dots of black nail polish for nostrils. I pulled hose over the face to even out the color and give her more of a fleshy appearance. I tied it in the back with a ponytail holder and cut off the legs. I then secured the wig.
I used the legs of the hose on the plastic feet.

MAGICIAN'S BOX
2 18x18x24 moving boxes = 0.00 They were left in my attic by my tenants.
Scrap Styrofoam = 0.00 (Also left in my attic)
2 10 foot pieces PVC = 3.16
4 casters = 0.00 I had taken these off of a roller cart because they kept coming off.
1 can spray paint = 1.00
3 yards black fabric = 5.64 ( I purchased this several years ago and use it every year in some part of my haunt. I think the price was 1.88/yard)
1 yrd scrap of muslin = 2.50 (left over from a craft project)
34 8" zip ties = 1.02
old torn sheet = 0.00
Red paint left over from painting my front door = 0.00 (used a few drips on the cloth and saw)
4 small nails from my work-bench. Helps hold the flaps closed.= 0.00

The saw is made from a piece of cardboard from an old box and a small piece of foil from the pantry 0.00

Total for this is $13.32

Combined total: $13.32 + $6.20 = 19.52

The pvc was cut into 8 equal lengths. I cut small holes in the bottoms of the boxes and held the pipe in place with zip ties. I used styrofoam pieces to help hold the legs in place and support the boxes. Zip ties were also used to help hold the box flaps closed. I used black spray paint on the parts of the box that were not covered with cloth, which is the part where the head and feet stick out. It was just easier to use the cloth to cover the boxes than paint the entire area of the boxes.
I cut holes in the ends to stick the head and legs through.

The casters are just stuck into the pvc. The back legs are propped with some small styrofoam pieces to keep the entire prop level.
I placed the scrap muslin on top to give it some definition. If not, then the black just disappears so it has no impact at all.

HERE SHE IS!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
"What could I do with a pair of mannequin feet?" Spoken like a true haunter.

A large project. And done on twenty bucks. Good job.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Good idea Bayou, nice job
nightmare on magician street

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
WoW! Cool idea! I was wondering what you were going to do with the legs.. LOL :D Very Nice prop!

·
She looks so normal
21,274 Posts
That is a great prop. Now I know not to volunteer if a magician asks for an assistant. Are you building your haunt around this theme?

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks y'all.

Scareme,
I don't know if I am going to use it at all. I built it because I didn't know what else to do with plastic legs. LOL!

I don't have much of a theme. I decorate my garage and yard with the typical halloween fai but maybe I can use this prop to build a theme for 2008.

This prop has the potential to be really creepy or gory. I had originally thought of making her a forgotten lady using bugs and webs but I was at the limit so I left her as is.
Roaches on her eyes make her look as though her eyes are sewn shut. I think adding some high heels and adding more to the face will reduce the mannequin appearance also. I have everything in my closet to do this except the heels. I have bad feet so I can't wear them.

Thanks again for the compliments.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awe geeze, Ghostess. How could you let those go?
It probably goes to show that you have good mental health. LOL!

Thanks Deadspider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts