Haunt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 lanterns that I plan on having out in my yard this year. One will be held by my monster mud character "Buddy", and I will be holding and walking around with the other.
For the one that "Buddy" is going to hold, I just plan on putting flicker light in a light socket so I can just plug it in.
As for the one that I will be walking around with, I would like to find out a way to have a few LEDS that look like a candle burning and can be powered by batteries. The only thing is, is that I have little to no knowledge of using LEDS or anything electrical for that matter. So I was wondering if anybody would be so kind as to help me create this.
If anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it!!! :D

PS sorry if this is in the wrong thread thing... I don't know what I'm doing! :p

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
FrontyardFright, I have built several flicker circuits. I assume from an earlier post you have limited electronics knowledge? If that is the case the simplest flicker I have seen to build is spooky blue's http://www.spookyblue.com/halloween/flickerlight/spookyfire/. The problem with this circuit is that you need a lot of LEDs to get a decent amount of light. You can also use the LED tea lights, but these are very dim. You may want to try Otaku's hack to add an ultra bright LED and standard batteries http://www.johnnyspage.com/otakuFlickerHowto/page1.htm For all of these you will have to etch the glass (or mist with spray paint) of the lantern to diffuse the light. These should be okay if you simply want the effect of a flickering lantern.

If you want to produce enough light to see by, I think you would need an incadescent flicker circuit, and I don't have any experience with those. My plans in the near future are to build several of the snovotil flicker circuits using multiple ultra-briht LEDs for some small storm lanterns I bought at Big Lots. I don't know yet how much light I can get from this circuit with multiple ultra-bright LEDs. I can post the results when one is complete.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
It's like I don't even have to plug my own site any more! :p

Mine is without a flicker effect, which I honestly find to be more realistic. I noticed with an old oil lantern that I have here at the house, that the flame in it doesn't really flicker much at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts