$.5 - Scrap material for bandana
Free - empty Peanut containers
Free - domed Drink lids
Free - popped rubber tire tube
Free - torn black t shirt
Free - diaper genie refill empty container
Free - throw away cut off of concrete form 12"

Total $24.50

I shot high on the costs of the EVA foam and flexible foam as I bought it in bulk when I got it and don't know what the small details would break down to. Also high on paint and glue sticks/ caulk but for one minion it would cost that as it is hard to split so there you go. Also, several minions are pictured but really only 1, the super pirate minion ( patch over his 1 eye) is for the contest. I just wanted to show the variations of things I used and why.

So starting out, I had found a spray foam installer who was willing to spray the inside of a partial concrete form that was cut off from a job a few times. he did it for the cost of the foam 1 or 1.5 pound closed cell which quick expands and doesn't cost much. I think I gave him maybe 40 dollars for 7 forms. It could have been done with great stuff and a bunch of newspaper stuffed in the core.

The forms were then sanded down to smooth them out. If I did it again I would have used the 2 pound foam as it is much denser and wouldn't have misformed with air pockets and as soft as it was. (live and learn)

Next I had to coat the forms. I tried 3 methods I used a whole tube of caulk and tried to smooth it out. I didn't like that so I made a batch of monster mud. That also didn't work well. I ended up using EVA skins. You can buy them online cheap. A 4x8 sheet which varies from 1/8 to 3/16th thick is less than 5 bucks. I ordered way too many as well as some 3/8th sheets to try and build the minions without a foam core originally.
Spray glue on the form and the eva foam held well. I did have to seal the seam with some caulk as it wanted to curl after a week or two.

Next cut out and seam in the googles. This was done with a small amount of the EVA foam, diaper genie refills and empty peanut containers. Sealed with caulk.

·
User Title Already Taken
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Arms and legs were added using 3/4 gray PVC bent with a heat gun to shape them a bit. They foam core was drilled out, caulk put in and the arms inserted to hold.

The eye balls are the domed lids off of coffee cups or icecream to go cups. They were painted on the inside with white spray paint then a small piece of foam added to the center and glued on. Then hand painted for the iris. The eye lids were more pieces of the thin EVA skins cut and glued in. The lens on top was a piece of thin plexi glass 1/8th inch that is used as a shelf liner. I only needed a small piece and I think you can get 4 four foot liners for 10 bucks at stores. They were glued in with hot glue.

The hand and feet were this really dense black foam we used at work 10 years ago. I don't even know what it is called so I guessed on the price of 5 bucks for the small amount I needed about 4 inches by 10 inches and 2" thick. it is what I had so I used it. They could easily be made out of the 2" pink foam for pennies as they are basically cut off sections. I also used two pair of doll shoes I picked up for a quarter for two of the minions just because it saved me some time originally.

The mouths were then cut in using a razor blade basically like carving a pumpkin.

I used the popped inner tube to make the eye patches. I couldn't find a glue that would hold them well and my barge cement had dried up. I ended up using a stapler to hold the pieces together, darn vulcanized rubber.
They were painted up and dressed up and ready to sail.

I didn't really have a big freebee item unless you count the pirate ship float they ended up on.

My favorite one is the super pirate minion with two swords, 1 eye, and a patch over it. :)

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts
These guys are totally adorable and totally authentic as well. Nicely done!

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Ha, ha, they look great and quite at home on the pirate ship!

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
These are so clever, Love them!!

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:I love the minions!!! I can't believe how great they all look for the price you made them at. Well done you, they are awesome!:D

·
Muddled Moderator
28,242 Posts
Pirate Minions rock!

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
I am floored!!! These minion's are so freaking awesome!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Haunted Spider I love minions! I love them even more as pirates. You did a fantastic job!!! Hey, what did you end up getting for an award? ;) :D

·
User Title Already Taken
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We took first at the parade in the adult category. It included a small blue ribbon. I have a second parade this saturday. I am hoping to win that one as it has a 500 dollar prize. :)

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
Yay you!! That is fun news to hear and hope you nail the next parade too. Your Minions are to die for

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Man, the whole thing looks just fantastic!!! I have no doubt that you will win but I'm crossing my fingers anyway. Please let us know OK? And if possible post pictures. Um...what are the 20 lbs of bananas for?
;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts