Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm putting up my first display this year and have a question about definitions.

Seems some people consider haunters people who runs haunts. Makes sense...

What is/should be the term for people who only have displays?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
we don't have a haunted house you walk thru but we participate/dress up in our yard haunt...........scaring the kids/adults who walk up to the door and those who check out the yard

i consider us haunters

·
Are you always like this?
3,064 Posts
I consider myself a Halloween person - I put out a display in my front yard that has a certain look.

There are no moving props or people jumping out. It's nothing organized that people walk through. I've always considered it more decorative than an actual haunt.

When Mark referenced his site to me, my initial reaction was that I have decorations, not a haunt. Closer to Halloween, there are also real JOL's, mini pumpkins carved with eyes only hanging on shepherd's hooks, lots of fog and music/horror sounds. I dress up for the trick or treating.

I'm a big Halloween person and some day would like to expand my display, perhaps so that tot'ers can walk through something more (my big front lawn would make that very doable)... but for now it's a display, with a bit more effort put into it than the average home's decorations.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would think that a Haunter is anyone who creates a feeling of uncertainty. Be it through display or actually taking victims inside for the show. I had a walk-in last year, first attempt, went really well. Worked it all night and felt as though I had just actually worked, missed most of the fun. This year I will create more terror with a display, and sit back and enjoy the fact that only the brave will approach. The difference is guiding people through a display and letting people walk by a display. The reality is that the Haunted Mansion at DL is 99% display but instead of a sidewalk it rolls you buy in a cart. That haunt has created more memories for kids then any other.
Maybe a new group of names could be made to identify the difference.
You would have to create classes for the following: 1. Walk through static 2. Walk through interactive 3. Display static 4. Display Interactive 5. Pro Static 6. Pro Interactive. 7. Party Haunts (Just setup to party)
Then you could break it down to maybe builders, scene setters etc…. A Pro haunter gets paid and sometimes the joy of the act, a home haunter does it for the joy.
In Vegas a show is a show, doesn’t matter if you’re inside or out.
We are all creating memories of a lifetime, for the kids, and when your haunt is gone, you will be missed. They will say, you remember that crazy old guy/gal who used to live down the block, who did the Halloween decorations, I wonder what ever happened to him. Or when I was a kid we had this guy that every Halloween he…….
They are all Haunters, You are all Haunters…my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I will now consider myself a haunter, 'cuz if you don't come by my display and say you love it....I will HAUNT your @$$!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Okay, I'm putting up my first display this year and have a question about definitions.

Seems some people consider haunters people who runs haunts. Makes sense...

What is/should be the term for people who only have displays?
Sickie, you never actually said WHAT you are putting on display.....They may just call you "PERVERT" (and then call the police):D

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you spend more money and/or time on Halloween props than you should, you are haunter. I don't care if you have a 3 story pro haunt or a single prop in your front yard. If you put the effort in, you are a haunter. That goes for actors too!

Of course, there are those who say you aren't a real haunter until you've made somebody pee themselves. That's a good point actually.

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
Of course, there are those who say you aren't a real haunter until you've made somebody pee themselves. That's a good point actually.
I haven't had anyone pee themselves yet but I did have a 4 year old kick the crap out of his mother for forcing him up to the door. It's a good year when kids can't make it up the walkway!

·
Are you always like this?
3,064 Posts
I haven't had anyone pee themselves yet but I did have a 4 year old kick the crap out of his mother for forcing him up to the door. It's a good year when kids can't make it up the walkway!
That obviously doesn't happen at my house!!! LOL

BUT...

Lots of people take pictures of their kids tot'ing with my display in the background... kids cross the street to come to my house "Come on! Let's go THERE!!!!!" and last year, I had a woman come around to my house wanting to buy the whole shebang. She actually called back a couple of months ago...

So that all makes me feel like I'm doing something right. It has a certain feel and atmosphere, even if it's not the kind of display/haunt that scares the pants off of you.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.