Haunt Forum banner

Would you participate in a forum-wide DVD compilation?

• I'd love to!

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • I'm not too sure about it yet.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I'd like to, but am not sure I can get a camera in time.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 6.0%
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night in the chat room, a few of us were discussing the possibility of throwing together a DVD collecting video from all of our haunts into one place, similar to the Halloween-L DVD, but on a smaller scale.

Would any of you be interested in doing this for 2006? If I can get enough people to say yes (and I don't have a set number in mind), then I'd be glad to throw the compilation together and offer it for sale here, with any profits going to keeping the site running.

What I'm planning on doing to separate this compilation from the Halloween-L compilation is to have the DVDs professionally duplicated and packaged. Here are things I'm looking to do to try and make this DVD the best collection of amateur and pro haunt videos:

• Professionally manufactured DVDs WITH Cases.
  • Discs will be dual layer (I hope) to keep the amount of discs down.
  • Only forum members will be eligible to submit and only if they meet a 50 post minimum and were active here within the month leading up to October.
  • This compilation won't be for a contest. This will be just to share our haunts and ideas with each other and to offer inspiration.

I also have some guidlines for the disc that I'm laying out now, so any input on this stuff is appreciated. I'd like all of us to agree on some "guidelines", so put in your own $.02 as to if you agree with these or have ideas to add.

• Seven minute time limit guideline for entries. Not a rule, just a guideline. Just remember, the longer the entries, the more likely we'll need to make this a 2... 3... 4... etc... disc set, thus driving the cost of it up. If your entry needs to be longer to be able to show everything, then so be it.
  • Try to only show each prop for no more than 10 - 30 seconds unless it has a long cycle time, or has some unique feature/function that you really want to show off.
  • Don't show the same prop more than once or twice. Your stuff is all great, but to keep the DVD moving along, it's best if you don't show your FCG or coffin leaper 12 times. A daytime and/or night time shot is sufficient.
  • Daytime and nighttime video is encouraged so everything can be seen in good lighting as well as under haunt lighting.
  • Entries that are overlong and drag in places will be edited down. The above guidelines spell out for you what I mean by dragging in places and overlong.
  • All submissions must be in by December 15, 2006. I will, however, accept new additions right up until I'm done editing and compiling the DVD. Once I burn a master copy though, no more new entries will be accepted.
  • Entries edited by the haunter must be in the US standard, Full-Screen 30 Frames Per Second format. I'd rather not have to make separate discs for entries that are in 25 FPS or in widescreen. If you have no idea about how to do this, I think I could walk you through it.

I'm also considering making this compilation for VIDEO ONLY. No still photographs. I was able to rent a video camera last year for a very reasonable price, so if you don't own a camera, don't feel like you're going to be left out. You can rent one. Just tell the rental place that you need a camera that's got pretty good night vision or can film in the dark.

So, given the guidlines above, do you think you'd participate? Answer the poll above and if enough people say yes, I'd be glad to toss together a compilation for the 2006 haunting season.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'd definitely be interested. Since I'm boycotting the L List ones since the Haunt X crew snuck in and started using them for their own ends.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may honestly be done with the list. Too much politics and a lot less haunt discussion on there nowadays. I'll probably still submit video to their DVD, but doubt I'll be buying it again. I felt this year's set was overpriced, especially considering I now know (through research of my own) how much it costs to produce such a set.

For what they're charging, it should have been a 4 disc set (dual layer discs hold twice as much info as the single layers that Propmaster used) WITH cases and color inserts. With the volume of discs they sell, it should have cost them about $2 - $3 per disc, making the cost per set $8 - $9 to make. Pump it up with a little profit money, and Propmaster could have made a nice set.

I think by continuing to do it all himself, Propmaster drives the cost of the set up. The cost of professionally producing DVDs has come down A LOT over the past few years, and the DIY method seems to be more costly now.

Even for a small run of discs, which our set will likely be, the cost for making a disc should only be around $5 per disc. I'd only inflate the price a dollar or two above that to work in some small profit that would go into maintaining the costs of running this site.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I recently subscribed to the halloween-L list and have been suprised of the volume of hauntless discussion taking place. I have over 1000 mails sitting in that folder that have very little to do with haunting. I keep hoping its a seasonal thing and as it gets closer to oct 31st the discussions will change.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I know you're right Zombie. But with me,it's not the cost , it's the fact that I won't let someone profit off of my work, when it's supposed to be for fun. Or should I say, I'm not willing to do it for someone who snuck in and seems to have gotten to Propmaster somehow. The Haunt x people get the DVDs before anyone else, they use them to promote their own business, and they're Johnny come latelys jumping in after years of everyone else paying for the DVDs and thereby buying Propmaster the equipment. I'd gladly pay for the DVDs from Unpleasant St., and also gladly pay the extra bucks, because at least you're doing it all up front.
And last but not least, no, the L List does not get any less chatty during the busy season. Keeba puts out a few warnings, but everyone just ignores them.

14,925 Posts
Vlad said:
I know you're right Zombie. But with me,it's not the cost , it's the fact that I won't let someone profit off of my work, when it's supposed to be for fun. Or should I say, I'm not willing to do it for someone who snuck in and seems to have gotten to Propmaster somehow. The Haunt x people get the DVDs before anyone else, they use them to promote their own business, and they're Johnny come latelys jumping in after years of everyone else paying for the DVDs and thereby buying Propmaster the equipment. I'd gladly pay for the DVDs from Unpleasant St., and also gladly pay the extra bucks, because at least you're doing it all up front.
And last but not least, no, the L List does not get any less chatty during the busy season. Keeba puts out a few warnings, but everyone just ignores them.
Amen!
Paul, didn't answer back about that same question I had for him some time ago.
I believe he's in for the money now.
I won't submit video any more either, though I did think about copying all of the disks and selling them at cost off my site.
Still P*** me off to think about it:zombie:
Jeff

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Vlad said:
This has me curious..Vlad, could you explain to me exactly what happened with Propmaster?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say so. I'm sure we'll have more participants over the course of the next 7 months between now and Halloween.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, here's the catch. In order to get a glass master made and have them all pressed on REAL DVDs, I'd need a minimum order of 1000 discs and I honestly don't see that many of them selling.

In light of that, I have found a few places that do duplication on Dual Layer DVD-Rs and in the smaller quantity we'd need. The first place is called Discount Dupes and the other is called Pro Action Media.

If you know of any places that will do small production runs on REAL DVDs for a reasonable price, I'm all ears. I'd much rather go that route as the disc would definitely be compatible with every player out there, but if there's no place that can do small runs for a reasonable price, the DVD-R way will have to be the way we do it.

14,925 Posts
Dr Morbius said:
What do you mean by glass work? I tried a search on Google, but found no reference to this term as pertains to DVD's...Just curious, I don't know much (anything) about mass producing DVDs
Sorry about that.
It's what they call it for the imprint(artwork) on the DVD if I remember right.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Frighteners Entertainment said:
Sorry about that.
It's what they call it for the imprint(artwork) on the DVD if I remember right.

Jeff
Wrong... the "glass work" or Glass Master as it's more commonly called, is a glass master disc that has all the digital 1s and 0s imprinted on it, and it is from this disc that all the real DVDs are made from. A real DVD has a metal disc encased inside a plastic disc-shaped housing. The metal disc inside has all the grooves punched into it from the glass master.

A copied DVD (DVD-R, DVD+R, DL DVD-R) is actually very different from the manufactured DVDs you buy in a store. A duplicated DVD has an ink inside the plastic disc and your burner actually "writes" the grooves (digital 1s or 0s) into the ink. A copied disc actually has a lifespan of about 5 years, if stored in optimal conditions. If stored in hotter climates (like your attic), the ink can run and cause the DVD to be unreadable in a shorter period of time. This is why a REAL DVD is preferable to copied discs.

The artwork is often times transferred onto the disc via a heat transfer, printing directly onto the disc, or in some cases via a label.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts