Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I have the typical brick suburban home with a small front yard, which is well lit by the orange street light on the corner. The street light serves the double purpose of screwing up my yard haunt as well as my stargazing hobby but I digress.

How can I take the edge off of the house just to blend it a little with the graveyard? I do have a nice archway that I can hang a ghost in or something.

I plan on expanding the graveyard and adding lightning this year.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Maybe I could add a facade in the future but I need some cheap-o ideas for this year.

Thanks!

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
I have the same problem. I used some 50 watt blue spots to uplight parts of the front of the house. That helped to break up some of the symmetry, and I used Rit treated cheesecloth with UV lighting and Creepy Cloth to cover the walls leading up to the porch. I have a somewhat enclosed porch area which allows me set up a scene that's independent of the graveyard. This is a pic from 2005, and I made some changes last year that distract the eye from the contemporary house design.

http://halloweengallery.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3698

I also use lightning over the front of the house and graveyard - you'll be surprised at how that can change one's perception of the house. A graveyard fence, even a small one like mine, can make a lot of difference, too. Believe me, I sympathize with you - if I had a choice, I'd be living in a house not unlike the Addams Family mansion!

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, Otaku. I would have Norman Bates' house if I could or the Munsters.
I like the cheese cloth, and that is prettty inexpensive. I guess if I lit them with blacklights it would help distract the eye away from the house.
Uplights are inexpensive too.

I could easily attach some fake boards. Also inexpensive.

Thanks guys. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It might be a pain to haul in, but you could stake up some old dead limbs to look like trees in you front yard. If you add some visual height to you scene, it would give you something else to focus on other than the house. Drape them with spanish moss or cheesecloth to fill them out a bit, add a fence to the foreground, and then your scene will really start to take shape.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both ideas are great. I have lots of cardboard in the attic.

I saw lots of limbs today...garbage day.
I think Vlad suggested something similar for me to hang lights for lightning. I think the limbs will add character so this is something I really need to consider. Maybe I could use some rebar and pvc painted black. I could zip-tie the limbs????? If I can pull it off...I'll post photos.

Any other ideas on how to pull this off?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
you could make homemade creepy cloth and hang it from under your eaves wieghted down with fishing weights,

a giant spider web from eaves also with a spider on you roof

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I think that your house is a perfect start. The brickwork is the palette, you only need to use it to your advantage. I'd suggest a row of attached fake light torches to give it a dungeon wall look. Maybe also some PVC fake iron gates at the entrances.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vlad, you are the man.
Now that is something I never thought of. I have some iron candle sconces for the inside that I have used on the porch but didn't think to create somehting bigger for the exterior walls.

I think adding torches and fake iron would be a great way to go. Just goth-up the house some. Add some creepy-cloth curtains (Thanks Lilly)in the windows and some fake trees.

Skelly-guards on either side of the poritco???One on the roof? If I can't do it this year. I can add them for next year.

I knew y'all would come up with the right stuff.

You're good people!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Haunted, if you can find a source for a high intensity focused beam of light you could just "turn it off" by aiming the focused beam at the photo cell on the light. I use a mag light to do this. This works for halloween and for fireworks displays, we just shoot them with roman candles :)

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
LOL!
My astronomy forum members like to use laser pointers.
I guess I could complain that the light is keeping me up at night. Maybe the utility company will at least put a hood around it.

O.K. Now I have some good ideas to work with...so I came up with a sketch.
At least now I think I know what direction I am going in for this year. I hope I have the discipline to knock of a project or so each month.

Here is the idea I came up with to add some gothic atmosphere to the suburban brick box. At least it has the arch to work with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I called the city about a shield on my street light. they want $125 to do it. I joked with the cops the other day about shining a spot from my bedroom ( which is only about 60 feet away)window to turn it off... they said FINE $$$ and if anybody got hurt I would be liable if the lack of light was part of the problem.

I have a similar problem, the house is so... so.. nothing... think this year I will create a thin crypt in the garage.

here is a video of davis doing their house... looks like it only took them a few hours of work according to the keystone cops putting it together.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dang, they really go all out.
There is a house a few blocks form here that does a charity haunt. They put up a facade like that. I didn't know about it until 10/31 when a TOT told me about it. I was too sick and exhausted to go through it but the outside was really neat.

Yeah, I never tried to temporarily put out the light because of the possibility that I might be liable. Forget that the entire neighborhood is lit up. That one light when it burned out didn't turn the area pitch by any means.

Here is a photo of my neighbor's charity haunt.
That is what I call ATMOSHPHERE! SIGH!
:jol:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Here is a photo of my neighbor's charity haunt.
That is what I call ATMOSHPHERE! SIGH!
:jol:
Dude, you can get atmosphere aplenty without resorting to something that big! Your house already looks kinda castle-ish. Some torches, a portcullis, properly dressed windows, and a cemetery fence and you'll be set! Then it's just a matter of good atmosphere lighting to give you some nice creepy colors and shadows. Think of it as makeup prosthetics vs. a full-head latex mask... not as much coverage, but if properly done can look even better because it's more "real".

Oh, and for setting up limbs as creepy trees, how about Christmas tree stands? A stout limb is pretty much the trunk size they were designed for. You can find cheap ones with holes at the ends of the legs that let you stake them down, then use reclining corpses, piles of skulls or whatever to hide the base. And make sure to use a light to throw a shadow against the house... a creepy bare tree is cool, but the *shadow* of a creepy bare tree is downright scary! :jol:

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
Also, check out the lighting tutorial at Skull and Bone:

http://www.skullandbone.com/tutorial_01.htm

I've incorporated some of the techniques and it made a significant difference. Use lighting to emphasize the parts of the house that look best for your haunt theme (brick archway and windows) and leave the rest in the dark as best you can.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts