Haunt Forum banner

Hilarious House Of Frightenstein

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  englundisgod 
#1 ·
A 1 hour Canadian horror show for 'kids' produced in 1971 @ CHCH studios in Hamilton Ontario. Featuring Vincent Price & the one-man comedy show Billy Van, playing no less than 10 characters.

It was syndicated across the country for decades, and also made it to the US market in an edited form (30min episodes with added laugh track)

more info here: http://frightenstein.com/

i ran the forum there for a few years back, digging up undocumented show info, connecting the right people together and helping get the show back from the dead and onto dvd.

once it came out most fans got their fix, demand for dvds stopped and are OOP already. ebay prices have jumped accordingly.

If anyone has any frightenstein questions or needs, maybe i can help.

#3 ·
I was introduced to this series by my older brother and loved the series and watched it well into the 80's in its syndication here in Ontario. I recently looked at amazon.ca to see about getting the DVD LOL upwards of $400 for them and that's not even the for a complete series. I find it absolutely amazing that this entire series over 130 episodes was filmed in a 9 month period! and all of Vincent Price's parts (about 400) were filmed in 4 days... I don't think we will ever see such an amazing show again.

#4 ·
they created a new way to make a show, all in parts.
show up in the gorilla costume & do as many takes as you can that day,
next day a diff costume all day long.

they also created that trippy wolfman effect,
triple green-screen feedback loops with barn door patterns.

ahead of their time i think.

#12 ·
Mitch Markowitz, who played Superhippy, will be at the Brockton Comicon in May 2017.
Originally slated for Saturday morning he's been added to the Friday lineup as well.

He is the last living cast member from the show and has lots of great stories to tell.
Share your memories of the show, get a photo with him and a free signed poster.

#22 ·
I loved watching reruns of this show when I was a kid. I grew up in hamilton too.

I just read in the paper a few weeks ago that Billy Van is getting a star on the canada walk of fame :)