80's really killed the whole movie host thing. now people can watch
anything they want,why stay up to watch an old b-film when you an
watchwhat you want.

to me we are losing an art form that will never retrun to what it
once was!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
could always see if you can have a photo lab transfer the tape to DVD for ya.

The only horror hosts I really remember are of more recent history. People like Elvira, Rhonda Shear, and Joe Bob Briggs.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Damn, Rhonda Shear was friggin' HOT! :eek:

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,928 Posts
Of course Maila Nurmi, better known to genre fans as Vampira, TV's first Horror Host, passed away on January 10, 2008 at the age of 86.

I am a huge fan of the Horror Hosts and their history, and for whatever you think of them, her influence is obvious and staggering. Granted, much of her character was based up on Charles Addams works, but she nonetheless was a late night phenom while she haunted the late night airwaves. Most fans might only remember her from Ed Wood's infamous Plan Nine From Outer Space, forever immortalized by Tim Burton in his biopic Ed Wood, but she was an accomplished actress and performer.

http://blogging.la/archives/2008/01/rip_vampira_aka_maila_nurmi.phtml

Now Bob Wilkins passed away on January 7, 2009.

R.I.P.

BOB WILKINS - CREATURE FEATURES HOST

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'm going to be totally despondent when we lose Zacherley. He's 91 now. Of course living in St Louis all my life I never saw his show live, but he's my favorite of the horror hosts. I absolutely cannot keep a straight face when I hear that laugh.

And it's a crime about Vampira... they never committed any of her shows to film. I think the only film of her in action (besides Plan 9) was the intro clip to her show.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,267 Posts
I grew up watching "Creature Feature" with it's host Count Gore De Vol.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Creature Feature was the best!!!! Great post and pics Johnny. We got one of the copies of the program for her wake and got to see her grave.

·
Super Moderator
64,309 Posts
Big Chuck and Hoolihan (the weatherman) were favorites of mine when I was in junior high/high school (remember Pizza Fight of the Century when they pitted the reigning champ against a German shepherd?). I also remember Ghoulardi - we loved watching the cheesy horror flicks he hosted.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
ok how many of you rember hooliang and big chuck,big chuck and
little john,superhost of channel 43,the cool ghoul and of corse
ghoulardie?
damn i lived for superhost and hooliang,big chuck and little john
growing up. i have superhost on tape with the blob,how i hope nothing
ever happenes to that tape.
i was woundering what you use to atch,i know inthe old days{the 60"s
and 70's}a lot of independent channels had movie host. vcr's of the
80's really killed the whole movie host thing. now people can watch
anything they want,why stay up to watch an old b-film when you an
watchwhat you want.

to me we are losing an art form that will never retrun to what it
once was!
Most people on this site probably won't recognize most of these shows because they were all local to NE Ohio. They were pretty good and do bring back a lot of memories.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Big Chuck and Hoolihan (the weatherman) were favorites of mine when I was in junior high/high school (remember Pizza Fight of the Century when they pitted the reigning champ against a German shepherd?). I also remember Ghoulardi - we loved watching the cheesy horror flicks he hosted.
Yeah, they called the champ Mushmouth and he could eat an entire pizza in well under a minute.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Count Gore DeVol out of Washington,D.C. and Chilly Billy in Pittsburgh (he also had a bit part as a news reporter in the original "Night of the Living Dead). Really wish TCM or AMC would bring back the horror host setup, maybe if we started a petition....

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,928 Posts
Horror hosts and their history is one of my passions - I grew up with Uncle Ted out of Scranton/Wilkes Barre, as well as Stella out of Philly on Saturday Night Dead, and of course nationally in the 80's Commander USA on the USA Network. Through various books and recordings, I have been fortunate enough to learn more about them all on a national level.

My dream is to do a show - combining love of Halloween and costumes with horror flicks :)

There are a lot of hosts currently out there, whether they be on local affiliates or the web. I am lucky to have my bud Skullboy get me Svengoolie's shows, who still haunts Chicago's airwaves.

Here are a few more links for anyone interested in the subject:

http://www.horror-wood.com/hhosts.htm

http://g.webring.com/hub?ring=jeepersring

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/tvhorrorhosts/index.html

http://www.americanscary.com/bios.html

http://www.horrorhosts.com/

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
Do any of you midwesterners remember Acri Creature Features? It had Chuck Acri and Vincent Hedges. It was out of Illinois, but we could pick it up in Iowa. I used to watch it on Sat. nights. They would show old scarey movies and they crew would put on skits through out the night. The them song was Windmills of Your Mind, and I still think of the show when I hear that song.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Now Bob Wilkins passed away on January 7, 2009.

R.I.P.

BOB WILKINS - CREATURE FEATURES HOST
Having grown up in Northern California (Sacramento and the Bay Area), Bob Wilkins was our guy. "Creature Features" was on Saturday nights and was my introduction to both the TV Horror Host and horror movies in general.

He didn't wear spooky outfits, make-up or speak with a bad accent. He had a sparsely decorated set of a table, chair, a skull candle and, of course, his now trademark cigar. He had a deadpan delivery style and a very dry wit. He almost always made it seem as if you were wasting your time staying up to watch the grade-Z horror movies they always showed and would skewer the films as beyond bad, but you could clearly tell he loved the genre. He even occasionally had guests, some relatively famous, and also attend the newest craze... conventions.

As I was fairly young at the time, Mom would have nothing to do with my little brother and I staying up late and watching the show in Sacramento. We'd try to devise some way of 'sneak watching' it. Okay, mostly I would. Thankfully, though, when we would go visit my Dad in the Bay Area, he'd make the popcorn and watch with us. This is why Dads rule.

Needless to say, Mr. Wilkins was a fairly big influence on my childhood and I thank him posthumously for his work. He is missed and will always be remembered.

As he was fond of saying...
"Keep America strong. Watch Horror movies."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was trying to come up with some ideas for a new thing we're about to try at Rocky Mountain Terror in addition to Trick or Terror Haunted House. I can't speak too much right now as to the details, but in the process, I was reminded of the show Creature Feature. Upon researching this, I stumbled upon http://www.horrorhostgraveyard.com and found a whole community of horror hosts, still keeping the tradition alive.

Is this something we are missing our on in the Haunt community? Do any of you know much about the Horror Host community? JT, I would especially love your thoughts on this, and think it would make a great segment for you on Hauntcast in an upcoming month.

If you have never heard of this, check out that link I placed above. This should be an interesting conversation thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.