Votes: 5 45.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This outght to be a good 'un! We have a metamorphing alien from another planet versus and arch duke of Hell. Who will pull out the victory when we pit:

The Thing

vs.

Pinhead

This one will bear some thinking, but if you think you know who would win, get to the polls and get to voting. Lets move it people! :D

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,776 Posts
Pinhead for me. Even though The Thing could do some damage, Pinhead has the supernatural on his side.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Thing, easily. Pinhead couldn't hope to defeat something that can duplicate him many times over.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have had a hard time with this one... so keep the rationale coming folks because i am sitting on the fence with this one until I hear sufficient evidence one way or rthe other... been too many years since I saw either movie to remember the nuances of both characters.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pinhead is a metaphysical being. When he comes onto our plane of existence, he has to adhere to certain dictates in order to hand out some major pain to his vicitms, this would include becoming part of the physical. He can only be summoned through the Lamentation Configuration Box and as such, is sort of limited on how mobile he can be.

The Thing is an extraterrestrial being(s) that through a single cell can perfectly imitate any physical lifeform it comes in contact with. Remember what i said about Pinhead and his visiting our world. The Thing would have no reason to want anything from Hell it couldn't achieve itself through world domination, so the Box would not be a factor, yet something would have to open it The Thing could have one of it's imitations do this and from there, systematically rip into the Cenobite and imitate him! How are you going to defeat something that even through the slightest contact would be into your system like a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality factor?

The Thing, like I said would be the one handing the beat down instead of Pinhead and his penchant for tearing souls apart. The thing doesn't have one.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Thanks Sin! Okay, good strong arguments for The Thing, but I see people are still going for Pinhead instead of The Thing. May I have a rebuttal from the Pinhead camp please?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm afraid you're not going to get it, my friend. It seems that folks tend to go for their "faves" in these types of matches without looking at the overall picture, so much the pity. :(

I remember back when MTV had a thing like this. Ghostface Killa, one of the lamest excuses for a Horror icon to come down the pike was soundly defeating such contenders as The Thing, Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, The Aliens etc. Now you tell me: Did that moron from what is arguably one of the WORST Horror franchises ever created, Scream even have the slightest chance against such heavies? I didn't think so.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yeah, I suspect you are correct. I do appreciate the overall fear factor that certain characters instill on us (this does count for something), but there should be a rationale behind why we pick certain villians over another. I will wait on my final vote a little longer although your assessment fits with my recolection of the two films.

I suppose the true test would have been how Kurt Russell would have defeated Pinhead. There is no doubt that real ass-kicking can only be accomplished by the man affectionately known for such roles as "Computer who wore Tennis shoes" or the "Strongest Man in the World" so how effective he would have been against Pinhead would be the real tell for me.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That rationale could also be reversed and how would Ashley Laurence have defeated The Thing? When human characters defeat a creature from another planet, another plane of existence, or a super powered one from this reality, I am contending it was a fluke. The "monster" in question relied heavily on it's own fearsome presence, strength and abilities to come out the eventual victor that it overlooked something in the grand scheme of things and a small flaw in design became it's undoing. NO monster is immune to this frailty. Why do you think Jason has been defeated by cringing girls so many times, or the Predator was taken out by a mediocre actor like Danny Glover? It wasn't that they were superior. If the bogeyman they were facing had covered all angles, those people wouldn't have stood a chance.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I was terrified of Pinhead when I first saw Hellraiser, He is an awesome character. He is still one of my all time favorite horror movie Icons.
The Thing is one of my favorite films, and I am a big HP Lovecraft fan, which The Thing is reminiscent of.
I have to go with the Thing on this one. It is simply an unstoppable force.
I dont think Pinhead would stand a chance
Also did Kurt Russell really kill The Thing the end?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Okay, I like where you are going with this, if Kurt couldnt kill it, then no one could! Good arguement and I certainly coudn't dissagree with the logic. :D
I can just see it now.

Pinhead and The Thing fight for a while, Pinhead (seemingly) defeats The Thing. Upon returning to Hell, PinheadThing systematically infects the rest of the Cenobites and then takes over most of the rest of hell in a matter of hours. ROFL

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's not so far fetched as it may seem. I could very much picture something like this happening. Imagine it: Whatever host The Thing takes over, it becomes that form perfectly. In this instance, it would have access to metaphysical flesh. Taking over Hell? Oh yeah, I could definitely see it happening.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,776 Posts
I don't see The Thing actually taking over hell due to the fact that it can only exist in extremely cold temperatures.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where did you get that impression, Phyllis? The story only took place in Antarctica. Remember Blair (Wilfred Brimley) did a calculation how long it would take for complete world domination should the alien get into the general populace. I think it could survive ANYWHERE. It only lies dormant in the cold awaiting thawing so it can continue it's conquest at a more advantageous time.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,776 Posts
I'm sorry Sin - my bad!!!! Now that you mentioned it, it does need heat to become active. Now that my memory is kicking in, when they brought it in from the cold to check it out, it became alive. Sorry, I've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning. I think I need one of those pumpkin lattes that we were talking about a while back. Need to wake up.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those damn things from Starbucks are great, aren't they? I prefer the colder, milkshake like Pumpkin Frappucinos, but that's just me. :D

No need to apologize, DW. Just an understandable oversight so early in the morning. ;)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
All righty the Thing arguement won out, so my vote as been cast... dont I get an "I voted" sticker now? :)

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We need a couple of more votes before we can move on. The race is pretty close with this posting and it can always change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.