Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Let me just say this: I know Anne Rice...OK, actually, I've just been to her house in NOLA...OK, actually, I've only stood in the street looking at her house. Now that I think about it, I've never read Rice (not even her husband, Stan, the poet).

Fancy pants French vampires have just never frightened me - sorry. I liked the film as such, but just couldn't get too into it as a vampire movie. It just didn't seem like a vampire movie to me - more like a gothic romance. "FFC's Bram Stoker's Dracula" on the other hand was just about all a modern telling of the Dracula story should be. Oldman's take was courageous, fascinating, and scary. The picture itself was beautifully filmed, and I think was a return to the original source, rather than a revision or an up-dating. In fact, much is restored from Stoker that had lost focus in previous adaptations. Lucy's dialectic of sexuality and male homoerotic violence is intact in this version, and in none other that I know of. The Dracula of the novel, of course, is another matter. The fact is the Count does not appear very often in the novel, mostly in the opening castle section and then a few brief glimpses before the final confrontation. The novel is really about how the antagonists respond to the results of Dracula's thirst. But, like the critic wrote: "The cinema seems to come into its own when it clings to the surface of things." Thus we must have a vampire on display - and on display he is!

It's a wonderful film.

"Dracula" - 3
"Interview" - 1

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.