Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the evil count moves to "Round Two" where he will face off against a displaced lycanthrope so far from his home.

Next up, we have two problem children who one could say "The devil made them do it," as far as their supernatural and dangerous shenanigans go. One has one of the Big D's minions in them; the other is the Horned One's son himself. Will it be Regan or Damien when we pit arguably the two of the best supernatural flicks against each other.

The Exorcist

vs.

The Omen

Break out the holy water and rosary beads, we're in for a helluva time on this particular matchup.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Ok, being I had never seen The Omen all the way through, I decided to add it to my Netflix Queue. Here's my thoughts on both:

The Exorcist
For some odd reason, it took me until I was about 22 to finally get around to seeing this. I guess some of the bad special effects I had seen clips of kept me away from seeing it, making me think the movie was sort of goofy.

Boy was I wrong. The movie is not only very good, but exceptional to the point I consider it a classic. It's a beautifully shot movie with acceptable special effects (for its time). The film treatment by William Peter Blatty (based on his novel) is also interesting and well-written, moving along at just the right pace.

Often times, I find movies like this that are routed in religious dogma tend to drag in places or seem very formulaic, which this movie does not.

For a child actress, Linda Blair does an excellent job as Regan, both possessed or otherwise. Max Von Sydow and Jason Miller also did exceptional jobs in their roles as the priests set out to stop the evil within Regan.

My only gripe with this movie is all the loose ends there were that wound up spawning a pretty horrendous sequel (Exorcist II).

The Omen
Now that I've seen this all the way through, I can finally comment on it.

This movie, opposite The Exorcist, did seem very formulaic and most certainly did drag in a quite a few places. I don't think it was the religious backdrop that casued this, but a slow-paced story. In all honesty, I think this movie could have been about 15 - 20 minutes shorter and been a better movie.

The acting on the part of Gregory Peck was very good, however, the movie's focal character, Damien, was played by a child actor (Harvey Stephens) I could easily strangle even if were he not the son of the devil.

The cinematography was excellent. Lots of grand sets great camerawork throughout.

To me, The Omen was just very "par for the course" as far as religious horror movies go. Maybe had I seen it before now I would feel differently about it, but that's just not the case here.

So, I guess from here it's:
The Exorcist: 1
The Omen: 0

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This really wasn't hard for me to pick which I find to be the better film. While Damian Thorne was evil incarnate and it was EXPECTED for him to cause diabolic mischief for this reason, so a lot of what he did wasn't a real surprise because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in most cases. With The Omen there were places that dragged, but all in all it was a good film and should really be viewed along with its companion pieces.

I have to give Linda Blair her kudos for this film, if not for the other stink-bombs her career is littered with. I was in awe of how smoothly she made the transition from the young, innocent 12 year-old Reagan to the blasphemous, filth spewing possession victim tormented by the demon Pazuzu voiced by the late Mercedes McCambridge; it's just sad that she made so many bad career decisions after this one shining jewel. The effects for this movie were effective for its time as Zombie stated especially that spider crawl scene from the restored version. I believe that this is a true, almost flawless horror film that deserves every bit of the hailing it recieves and then some, effective even after its thirty plus years that it has been in existence. A perfect marriage of gripping story-telling along with frightening imagery that makes many of its modern day contemporaries seem like pale comparisons at best. Anyone that pans this film doesn't deserve to call themselves a true horror movie fan.

I love both movies, but The Exorcist is easily the best of the two.

The Exorcist: 2

The Omen: 0

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmm. I dunno. I really dig the OMEN. I like all the over the top gothic elements. Those dogs in the graveyard? What the hell is that all about?! I dunno, but I really dig it, non the less. Gregory Peck rocks the party hard, and the photographer guy is pretty good to. I think there are just more camera angles and shots in OMEN that appeal to me than Exorcist. Again, back to the graveyard full of dogs. It's a great set. Peck is awesome when they dig up that little casket. The OMEN has it all. Creppy sets, creepy nuns, creepy dogs, creepy nannys. It's totally over the top, but works within the film.

EXORCIST is thought of as a classic and all, and far be it for me to say it's not, but I never felt it, I guess. Linda Blair and the two priests are well cast, but there seem to be really long sections of this movie where nothing is happening. There also seems to be a relutance to come right out and say she's been ****ing possessed by evil. That whole thing with the first priest and the fake holy water. The OMEN on the other hand lets you know early on that you're dealing with the real deal.
Of course, EXORCIST is based on a true story, but that's really outside the realm of this contest. THE OMEN has better sequels, but that is also not related to this post.
In the end, I vote for THE OMEN

EXORCIST -2
THE OMEN -1

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far The Exorcist is ahead by one, so if anyone wants in on the action, you still have a few days to get under the wire. If not, we kick Damian out and Regan moves on to Round Two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.