Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on the sixth match-up with only two more to go before we move onto Round Two pitting the winners from former matches against each other for the Top Dog position of Horror films in our little contest. I wanted to try something a bit different. I know each of us have a warm spot in our black hearts for psychotic masked serial killers, especially when it comes to Pamela Voorhees' kid and a tyke whose sole mission in life was to grow up and slaughter every last member of his family not to mention anyone else who got in his way. This is a battle of sequels. Everyone has their favorites in both the "Friday" series and Halloween. These two in my opinion, stand heads above the rest of mostly a smorgasbord of travesties. The first of these re-introduced us to a hockey masked slasher who is now a zombiefied killing machine. The other, a sequel more violent than its predecessor that the great John Carpenter didn't want to make, but he did at the "prodding" of the studio. As the late Rod Serling used to say, submitted for your approval:

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives!

vs.

Halloween II

Get ta hackin'!

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's good to see you back around NCM, stick around some and help out with these match-ups. :)

Once again, I have to play odd man out (Where's Raxl? I'll bet he would vote the same way I would.) the sixth installment of the Friday series is probably my favorite. I also like the second part, The Final Chapter and The New Blood but I have a thing for the Frankensteinian way that Voorhees was brought back to life. The scene where Jason's eye opens for the first time in at least a decade after the lightning strike, you see nothing but murderous intent that hasn't been quelled by the chill of the grave. Sure there were some over-the top comedic elements to the plot, but that is what makes this a great popcorn movie. It's all not to be taken very seriously, and J.V. the twisted freak we all have come to know him as, goes off on his endless mission doing what we know he's best at: killing camp counselors in the most interesting of ways. IMO it's the best of the lot. I like the throwback to Mary Shelley's creation as well as watching the most prolific movie serial killer in all his devastating glory. It also doesn't hurt that the great Alice Cooper did some music for the film.

Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE Halloween II. I believe the series would have been best served ending when Loomis blew up that hospital room with him and The Shape in it. Unfortunately, it went on an spawned some terrible sequels, Part IV being the only watchable one. Yet, by this time Myers had become like all the other masked slashers around him, even if the movie takes place short minutes after the first. Carpenter wanted to avoid making Myers a cliche' like this in the first place, yet I also am glad this movie was made. I like it a lot, but I still like Jason Lives a bit better.

So here's the tally so far:

Halloween II: 2

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives!: 1

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the VERY thing I was wanting in the first place as you so eloquently stated my Undead friend. And as such, since this is moving along ever so nicely, I'm going to leave this particular bout up for a few more days before declaring a winner and moving on to the next one.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With that bit of discussion having been one of the best rounds yet, I award the match to Voorhees with an impressive 4-2 defeat over The Shape. Stay tuned for the next bout in another day or two. :voorhees:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.