Haunt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
This is gorgeous! I built a hearse in 2020, inspired by others on this forum and after a lot of planning. I also needed to be able to dismantle it for easy storage, and I wanted it to be lightweight while still looking solid. I framed the panels with 1x2s and skinned them with that plastic stuff that is internally corrugated like cardboard (can’t remember the proper name). The windows are cut from thin acrylic (cheap poster frames from the thrift store) and I used horrible gaudy plastic frames and furniture trim to decorate. To cover the bolts at the corners, I made spiraled 3/4 columns out of pool noodles and foam pipe insulation, which attach with Velcro. Carriage lights were wired and attached to supports inside the frame.

I went traditional glossy black on the paint job but highlighted all the trim by drybrushing with gold, which really helped with the nighttime visibility.
We used a 6’ banquet table as the base, with wagon wheels and pvc axles obscuring the legs. We made a coffin for the interior using more traditional woodworking techniques, so it was good to have a solid base.

Overall, I was happy with my lightweight build—what it lacks in authenticity, it makes up for in the fact that my 80 year old father and I can easily carry, assemble, and store the pieces!

· Registered
15 Posts
Thank you so much! It sounds like you have a pretty nice build yourself. It's the portability & storage that really complicate a project like this, and it's tough sometimes to find that perfect balance between practicallity & authenticity.
So true! It’s the first question people usually ask (and it’s almost always the women that ask)—where do you store all this stuff?! I moved last year to a new house with a 2 car garage and a 3 bay workshop, and I still have storage problems (if only my husband didn’t insist on being able to put cars in the garage…) We really need someone to figure out pocket universes!

I wish I could have gone all-in as you have—and I hope I’m not stepping on your toes—but here are a few pics of how ours came out.
Plant Window Tree Cemetery Building

Wheel Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

Plant Window Vegetation Biome Grass
Plant Window Tree Cemetery Building
Motor vehicle Wheel Green Mode of transport Grass

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts