Haunt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas would help. I was thinking a long silver curtain rod across the back like the long handles they have there. And curtains in the back windows...but then I pull a blank...anyone done this?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I drove around all last week with this in the back...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110027398093&sspagename=ADME:L:AAQ:US:1
(because it was too heavy for me to take out and also it rained almost every day, so didn't want it to get wet ;);))

Unfortunately, it wasn't really very visible because the windows in our Chevy Venture are so dark. Very dissappointing. heheheh!

I'd definitely go with curtains, what if you made them GID or soak them in RIT whitener and then put one of those auto black lights in the back (run off of the cig lighter) and that should look awesome at night!

On your 2 back windows on the sides you have to create those "S" curve bars. I'm sure you could make some out of some of that window cling stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you going the drive it or park it to display? You could put a tall man (e.g. Phantasm) in the front seat, lit from below with a green or red light. When prople come to look at him have a live actor or prop jump up from the passengers seat.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas, guys. They're all great. I had planned on just driving it around a few weeks before and hadn't thought of a pop-up or actor. That would be so fun! I was thinking of putting a couple of flags on the front corners...are they usually just black?

Great coffin Ishwitch! Wow, and what a great price! Where are you going to use it in your haunt?

Here's a cool link I just found with a ton of hearses: Link Looks like the flags are orange, but I can't make out what they say on them...Yeah, those "s" bars would be cool. It would be fun to find some real ones...have to call around to some junkyards...And I could have one of those name signs in the second windows that said Hill House Funeral Home or something. Would fit in nicely with our graveyard. Will have to park it by our morgue sign...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and I love the black light idea. I didn't know they had automotive black lights! Too funny. Do you know where to get them?

And it looks like the newest "Funeral Coaches" have purple light bars on top of them. That would be really cool!

·
Registered
67 Posts
What also could be good for a scare if the car is parked, and it won't cost anything, is wait till the TT er's get close to look and set off the panic alarm with the key remote.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ghostie,
I have one of those auto blacklights, but can't for the life of me remember where I got it, might have been KMart. I remember that it was on sale. Try there and also at auto shops, where you can get all the car bling. I think the curtains glowing and maybe a blucky or bucky pushing aside the back curtaing and looking out would really be fun!

NecroBones,
I love to ride around with my bucky "Skulliver" 'cuz he loves to travel!
Bwahahahaha!

I will take some closer pics of the coffin and see what you guys think. It is pretty beat up with chips and digs in the wood, but it is homemade, and extremely well made at that. And isn't new, and who wants a brand new sparkly coffin! I love it! I am so glad to hear that you guys think it was a good buy. I had my misgivings, being that it was sight unseen, but am in no way sorry that I got it! The hubby, on the other hand, is still having a fit! (I've been saving cashola for some more Buckies, but due to situations beyond my control couldn't order them, so I've still spent it toward Halloween! ;) ;)) I feel so much better knowing that it was a good bargain. I haven't bought anything so big before that wasn't a bucky.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(speaking of "sparkly" Ishwitch, nice feedback score on Ebay! he he.) I suppose you got the black light at Kmart a while ago? I'll just Google them, thanks. The coffin looks great in the Ebay photo. Doesn't look too beat up at all. Nice score.

I am a little concerned about our tinted window not showing the curtains...The black light should make them show up better. Will have to see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a former hearse owner and driver... I actually might be some help here!

Firstly, the flags on the front of hearses are generally purple with the word "Funeral" printed on them in white, sometimes with a cross in the background, however, sometimes in some places just saftey orange ones are used.

Durangos are actually sometimes used as first call cars, i.e. the hearse that picks up bodies from hospitals and the like to take them to funeral homes so... you aren't doing something like starting with a VW bug. See? You really have a hearse! *laughs*

Anyways, examples of the flags can be found and purchased on eBay. (Search Hearse Flags) They usually mount to a magnetic little flag pole that is placed on the front of the hood, but... make sure there aren't local laws preventing you from flying them when not in an actual procession.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but... make sure there aren't local laws preventing you from flying them when not in an actual procession.
That's a good point. Thanks for the info. I'll just have to use them when it's parked in the driveway. And that's interesting about the first call durangos. I did see a suburban that looked like a hearse. I wonder if it was for the same thing...

Do you know anyone who sells hearse parts? Mostly I'm looking for the s-bar on the back windows...(I guess they're formally called Landau bars, bows or buttons). I did find this link, that has some, but they look very expensive. I guess I'll have to mold some from clay and paint them a chrome color or something...

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Generally, the best source for Landau bars is eBay but this time of year... they are gonna be a hot item. However, if you've got a junkyard close by... there was a few years that they made the "Landau" T-Birds that have smaller bars there the side roof emblems were. So... that might be a possibility...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. My hubby is a junkyard geek (we own a '77 cj with 8 inches of lift and a mustang engine) so I'll have to push him the information. Sounds like that would be perfect for our project. I did cruise Ebay today and the cheapest set was in the sixties...so they do get cheaper off season? Good news...I'll have to keep looking. T-bird...Ford section of the junkyard, right? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You bet! Woot! I was useful! (I'm working on restoring a '73 Charger right now myself. Car stuff is the best... junkyards are full of all kinds of good stuff...)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah, I know! We were perusing through one up north and I stumbled on a rare but powerful winch off a full sized one ton chevy. Score!!! DH had to tear it down and rebuild it, but that was fun to find! (Another wierd note: the junkyard had a resident llama in it. I saw the tracks and didn't know what the blazes made them. Then I felt someone looking at me and off ahead, towering over some compact import, was the llama just staring at us! I was a little freaked. Just goes to show, junkyards can be magical places! ha ha..)

Would like to see pics of your charger if you have any. Sounds like a fun project!

(Now if I can get dh to stop accidentally saying he's got a nice wench on the front of his jeep, we'll be fine!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts