Haunt Forum banner

How long to run?

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  james morris 
#1 ·
I currently run a haunted house at my house. for 2012 I am considering running the haunt for more than one night. Any thoughts on complications in doing this?
Thanks for your help:D

#4 ·
I totally undertsand about investing so much time to build your haunt for one night. I don't do a haunted house but my haunt is big enough where it is a lot of work for one night. I just don't trust that my props won't get ruined by weather, stolen or vandalized. If i could keep it up for more than one night I would. I say go for it if you can!

#5 ·
Thanks

Most of my haunt is in closed in walls and the expensive props out side can be moved in. Plus our neighbour hood mostly consist of people that (From Past Experience or 6 years of running my haunt:smoking:) won't vandalize or steal. But then again you never know!:rolleyes:

#6 ·
If your haunt is all props then go for it. If it requires actors/slave labor then you have to consider that too. People can scream and growl for one night a year, but night after night takes it's toll on the vocal cords., the same with actors who have to do more complicated or laborious parts.
If all is okay in all of those departments then go for it. I'd make sure that I posted the days I was going to run the haunt though, there's no use in having it open for a week or two ahead of time if nobody knows it open/available. But you may get people expecting candy on those other days/nights too.

#11 ·
It can always be a challenge when the holiday falls in the middle of the week like it does this year. it means you have some days off between the holiday and the weekend before or after, and trying to keep the enthusiasm (and energy) of your family and labor force going during the days off can be difficult. It also means that you have to do setup and tear down at least twice. Unlike the amusement parks, home haunters don't often have the space or ability to move big props and keep them intact in storage, so the operation can be fairly labor intensive.

#13 ·
I have been thinking about this one often lately. I originally thought to run mine only one day...but that now seems too limited for all of the work. It rarely rains in El Paso, so no worries there. Am now thinking of doing a friends and family or by invitation only the.might before. Maybe wait to install the wind prone props for Halloween only or take them down overnight. I can't see being open for more than that while being free. Maybe only if you are an established haunt freak from years prior and have a ready audience. Also, clear with neighbors first.

#18 ·
I'm with fontgeek on this one. Halloween on a Wednesday just kills everything for me. I don't want to set everything up Friday/Saturday, tear down Sunday...keep stuff inside Monday and Tuesday, then put back up Wednesday. Don't trust everything just 'left out' while I'm at my real job. It's bad enough to set up for the adult party on the Sat before then wait 3 more days!

But if multiple days work for you, by all means, go for it. I think some of the pro haunts around here are running for two MONTHS straight! Though I must admit, sometimes the long runs wear me out! Now that Christmas starts in the middle of September, I'm fully worn out and just want it to be over by the time Dec 25th rolls around!

#19 ·
My yard haunt isn't THAT elaborate ... (Check the blog and see for yourself)

In the past, I've always tried to put it up on Halloween (or the day before) and take it down right away the day after. That way when people come by, it's gone like it was really haunted. (silly, I know)

This year, I don't know. Maybe the weekend before, and take down the day after. We'll se as time gets closer, and weather gets more defined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.