Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this topic come up from time to time, how your significant other treats your 'focus' on halloween and prop building. Until recently my wife has not hidden the fact that she thought it was stupid for me to be getting ready for Halloween year round, but she mostly tolerated it. Her best friend is a kitchen designer and aspiring artist, and she saw my tombstone during a recent visit and convinced my wife that it was awesome, that I am an artist, etc, etc. Since that time she has been very accepting of my 'crafts' as she now refers to my props, and is even encouraging me to add a workbench to the office/playroom. I don't know yet if this means I can spend more money or not, we will see!

How bout you?

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
How funny. My husband refers to my halloween props as "halloween crap" He gets annoyed if i am online talking to others about props, ideas, etc... It would be nice if he was like yeah cool lets try that, but alas he is more into fishing than anything. He doesnt like the mess or the money, so i just spend a little at a time all year long so it doesnt seem like that much. Until i bring it all out from storage and set it up...then were talking HOLY COW. Its cool that your wife is starting to come around. your tombstone is wonderful and you really are an artist. i would have paid a lot of money for something like that. I guess i just want my husband to accept that its part of me and thats it, dont judge or make little comments about the cost or time it takes. I LOVE IT...support ME if you cant support the obsession..anyway thats all

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
My wife tries to be supportive, or should I say tolerant. At times she has problems with my obsessions, but as long as I don't talk about it too much it's okay. She has had a problem with the amount of time I've spent here on this list, but she's getting tolerant of that, too.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
My family is pretty cool about my obsession although my wife did say to me today, "Gosh we usually make it until August before we see Halloween stuff in the living room." Of course I can blame Jeff for that. It was a package from him!

The kids like it and participate on the big day. Their only requirement is "it can't be lame."

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife is a witch! But I mean that in a good way (at least most of the time I do- heheh). She enjoys Halloween as much as I do.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
My husband is VERY supportive and doesn't complain that we can't use the dining room table because there are various latex pieces drying or corpses sitting in the chairs. His job doesn't give him much free time to build but he does offer me suggestions and on the nights that we are open, he is one of our best actors. He does work on some stuff and has always participated in our prop building sessions when Vlad and Black Cat come to visit. I wish everyone had a spouse/significant other that was as supportive..it would make it so much easier.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
My wife doesn't get as into it as me. She only complains if something I'm doing hangs around untouched on the dining room table for too long. As long as I'm actually working on it, she's cool, but if it's just sitting there, I gotta move it.

The office/guest room usually has props in it... on the bed, on a chair, the floor, etc...

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
My step kids hate it. They think it is quote "Gay!" That would a teenage term meaning not cool. My wife kind of goes in and out of supporting me. Sometimes she is there, and other times she is in left field. (In another ballpark even) Like she went with me to Ironstock and Transworld, and once in a blue moon she will buy me something to show she is on my side. Like 1st picture below. I am planning on building a fortuneteller booth but more evil with this crystal ball. And today I got my corpse somewhat finished in the 2nd picture. My wife helps with coloring tips. Since I am not the brightest on color. (Get it, color?) I have not painted it yet, but with the wife coloring tips I should be soon. Thanks honey! But for the most of the time she does her own thing. I guess it could be worse.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
Opps, now the wife is complaining that the dogs don't like my new prop. They are barking at it and won't stop. Dogs..What do they know of Halloween?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but the DH has been turned to the dark side. He thought I was a total freak last season UNTIL I asked him to help with the FCG. From then, he started dropping hints that he would "help" with all the technical/mechanical stuff for this year's additions. He could care less about carving tombstones & such, but @ least he doesn't begrudge me the time & expense now :) As much as I hate to do it, playing the dumb chick may have worked in my favor!!!

For the guys with less-than-understanding females in their life: lots of women like to be asked their opinion on design/color/decorative stuff. If she thinks you need her input, she may be happy to opine & may even help. Helping = ownership = pride in a job well-done = less griping about $ & time :) That's how the DH suckered me into being OK with his guitar-buying/guitar-repairing hobby du jour. I guess what goes around, comes around :)

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Actually I am quite lucky it seems. My husband thinks what I do is all pretty cool ,and tells everyone "wait till you see what she made this yr". he even helps set some of it up if its too heavy.
thanks RC for your support.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice work there Deathtouch.
If my dog barks at or just doesn't go around anything I've made, then I consider that a compliment.:D

As for me, my wife isn't into halloween as much as I am.
But she says if I like doing it then go for it.
She advises me on what colors would look best since I'm not that good when it comes to which color to use.
I often ask her opinion on how a prop would look if I did this or that to it.
She has even directed some people to my work shop to see what I've done.

I should say my wife wasn't into halloween as much as me, until she went to Ironstock with me.:D
Now she wants to do the makeup part, like bodybagging does.
Cuts, bruises, scars, etc.
She has been buying dvds and reading books on the subject.
She intends to practice on our 14 yr old granddaughter, and granddaughter just loves the idea.:D
My eldest daughter says I've corrupted her mother.
Well I don't know about that, but I do my best.

No hasstle, no fuss, no problem, if I need something for a prop wifey says get it.

I purchased the upper half of a small skeleton at Ironstock and corpsified it and attached it to the grill of my truck.
Wifey decided to drive it around today just to see what would happen.

By golly, I do believe she is getting into it.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
You too heresJohnny. Mine was here is the crystal ball you just saw. Saturday I had them put in a 230 dollar car stereo in her new car. So my equation is 20 dollar pretty LED Crystal ball = 230 dollar car stereo + labor. It must be boolean algerbra, because it doesn't make sense. LOL.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gothikim said:
Helping = ownership = pride in a job well-done = less griping about $ & time :) That's how the DH suckered me into being OK with his guitar-buying/guitar-repairing hobby du jour. I guess what goes around, comes around :)
LMAO Gothikim. Have you married a clone of my husband??? That's what he's into right now, in fact he wants to line the guitars all up with baby bonnets on them and take a pic as his "babies." And I hear you about "hobby du jour." I've been through model railroad collecting but never building, etc. ;)

My husband doesn't mind what I do...he's rather proud of it when he overhears someone at the store/post office/wherever commenting on the fact I put out something new that day. He'll even "complain" about my obsession, which usually brings out the fact that I'm the one with the Halloween display.

As far as helping me build, however, unless I really really need his expertise or opinion, I don't let him near the "Lah-bore-atory." We have different building styles, and I would be able to knock out three props while he's still planning one, getting the "proper" tools, and measuring. But he does help me carry the bigger monsters down to the road. And makes a path for me so I don't tamgle myself in the weeds. All that is way more helpful than the actual building.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
My hubby is verrrryyy supportive even when he thinks its "gay" All I have to do is cry LOL. No seriously, hes pretty good, he will complain and bang stuff around when I push the envelope to get him to help me out when he doesnt want to but all in all hes good. He has a problem with my "haunting" starting in July. My mom is awesome!!!! She looks for stuff for me in December and January... I cant remember when I didnt get something Halloween for Christmas. So my hubby just has to go along, cuz then it would be 2 against one (she doesnt live with me but we hang a lot). His family will snicker behind my back but his dad loves it. His mom holds him back from helping me out. Whatever....

Bill (my hubby) wont let me put his dad in a casket.... go figure....

This past Saturday, we went to a Haunted gathering, called Scarefest. The host did this magnificant speech about gathering to get your "fix" in July and kissing off all those people at work and school that just dont understand your passion... That changed Bills whole mentality, cuz for the first time he saw:
1. I wasnt alone
2. Haunters are very Intellegent people (they have to be to build what we build)
3. They are not "geeks" as stereotyped
4. Everyone is very passionate as others are about suff like their Giraffe collection (me too), their Jeep, decorating their home, thier yards etc....

Since that day, hes been making suggestions and talking about stuff, helping me out and watching for deals at the place he works. He is even working on his own prop... a shake N' Bake (electric chair guy)

When it came to Halloween and the Halloween party we have, he would always give me a hard time until October 1 or even later depending on the subject, but when the night came.... you all know the deal... he would be beeming and talking it up....

So anyway, I have the half and half hubby... I have a tendancy to do what I want anyway so his displeasure didnt really bother me, but now I think hes onboard...Yippeee!!!!! that means more money to spend (hes always been the spender, not me)

So theres my long winded story in "quick reply"

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
My hubby also understands that Halloween is my favorite holiday and supports me. He even helps me out with props - I usually come up with the idea and ask him for his advice. He is a lot better at constructing that I am. When we have the annual Halloween party at the American Legion, he is the first to volunteer setting up and selling tickets. We have a give-and-take relationship - I deal with hunting/fishing/outdoors stuff that he is into so it does even out.

I remember when he had the day off from work on Halloween a few years back and he was having is coffee in the morning and I was busy putting the final touches on my front yard haunt. I don't put a lot of my electical and expense props out until Halloween day because of vandals and "mischief night" still happens in our town. I didn't know at the time but I had this look on my face (half snickering/half sinister look) while I while going in and out of the house with props in my arm. (Words from the hubby when he tells the story.) One of the trips while I was bringing props out of the house, I looked over at him and he had this alarming "Who the hell are you!" look on his face. When I went outside, he quickly closed and locked the front door and yelled "You're sick!!!! I don't know you!!" Of course, both of us were laughing and joking when he did this. Then it hit that this was actually his first time of watching the craziness happen. I mean, every time he would come home from work around 4 p.m., everything was set up and in full swing and TOTs at the door. Of course, all of you know what that day and what leads up to it as far as buiilding, setting up, and finalizing means but as far as my hubby, I think it was a real eye opener when he saw the "behind the scenes" for himself. I still laugh when I remember the look on his face.

Now he even invites people to our open house and get in costume to see the TOTs and help host the party.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well, I've had experiences on both sides of the coin. My ex-husband was pretty accepting of my mania for Hallowe'en at first. As our marriage deteriorated, however, he would nag about every single cent I spent on Hallowe'en and was a real ass in general about everything from setting up to hosting our annual party in October. He constantly tried to make me feel guilty for wanting to do anything I enjoyed--decorating, entertaining, etc. The last October we were married, he showed up late for the party (his secret girlfriend was keeping him busy) and didn't show up at all to help me with TOTers on Hallowe'en night (same reason).

Now I'm seeing a great guy who, although not quite as enthusiastic as I am about Hallowe'en decorating, is patient and encouraging. He's also one heck of a handyman and is always willing to help. In fact, he decided (all on his own) that this week he is going to set up a rig that I can hang my Bluckies on so that I can paint and antique them. It must be love! :p He's also great with the TOTers and was a fantastic host at last year's party. Now, if I could just convince him to dress like a pirate...:D

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't get me wrong, my wife is great (for me), she ran the kids corner for the last Halloween party, and it was a huge hit. She wants to do it again... when Halloween gets here. She has had some trouble accepting that I have not stopped building Halloween stuff since last Halloween, but lately she has become more accepting, and maybe even a little encouraging. That being said, I need to stock up on servo's and controllers and such while she is happy about getting new furniture LOL!

1 - 20 of 186 Posts