Haunt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a limited budget for my Halloween display. I was looking at www.kentuckyspecialfx.com . I was wondering if anyone has dealt with these guys before. They seem very reasonable with their prices, and the owner Mike has personally taken the time to speak to me a couple of times. They sound like great people, I just don't want to waste my money. I am looking for the most bang for my buck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Iam taking a guess and saying this is your first year at decorating for Halloween behond carving a pumpkin. Most of the members of this forum tend to build thier own props rather then buy them premade. From that point of view most of the items shown are a bit pricey for what they are. They are asking $20 for one styrofoam cross. Thats about the price of a 4x8 sheet of foam that you could make maybe eight of the crosses from. Granted you would have to paint them and cut them out but still that eight to one. The five foot wooden coffin for the sale price of $249 plus shipping (and that will be at the over sized rate) well most likely end up over $300. Material cost on that would be less then $50 and you can get plans for free in the forum. My favorite is the Rotting skeleton decaying corpse for $289 (plus shipping remember). A 4th class bucky (bucky is slang for a life size hard plastic skeleton, blucky is the shorter blow mold version), will cost about $100 to maybe $150 and the materials needed to corpse the skelly would be about $50 at most. How-to's for corpsing a bucky are also free and can be found here in the forum or on pesonel sites.
My point is that you can make your own props a lot cheaper then you can buy them. Yes it takes time and the courage to try it but in the end they are your props that you worked on and (in some cases) bleed on. We all started small and each year got bigger and better. There are a few here that are very talented, but we all get better with each year. I would also suggest you do some more shopping around for other places so you can get a feel for what things cost. There are a few sites that addvertise here that you can check out. Also check out the work done by the members here. Go to "All Albums" at the top of the page and you can see all the photos posted here. Pack a lunch there are a lot of pics there to look at.
I hope I helped you get started being a haunter. Take the time to check stuff out and do some research. And no, I havent delt with this company.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
I have to agree with Bone Dancer. I've not dealt with this vendor, but it does appear they cater to the professional haunter, magicians, and theaters, and price their items accordingly. I browsed through some of their offerings and kept thinking "I've seen that done by someone on the Forum for less than $50":) I'm not bashing the vendor at all and it sounds like the owner knows the value of customer service. I'm just saying those of us who've spent some time here on the Forum have been educated as to the wisdom of "build your own".

Granted we're getting tight on time, but do give consideration to BD's advice about trying your hand at building some of your own props. The hanging ghosts and coffins in particular are props that are quite accessible to the beginning haunter and there is plenty of guidance to be had here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried But Failed!

I tried but not only failed at making some of the stuff I wanted but made one heck of a mess as well so we drove to Kentucky Special FX this morning as I made an appointment last night with Mike since we were only thirty minutes away from his shop.
Now I know why he charges what he charges.

The tombstones he sells are nothing like the store bought ones from walmart, they feel real like stone to the touch and look amazing in person. We bought three of each desgin they had. Got six total for about $100.00

The animated pneumatic coffin we bought for $369.99 was mini computer controlled w/ motion sensor, built to be dropped off of a building and survive and weather proofed and dangit it just looked good for the money.

The full size coffin we got was friggin AWESOME, it looked nearly perfect!
Beautifull in every way.

Then the ghosts we picked out were simply beautifull, they arnt made of coat hanger wire like I though they might be, they use some kind of super thick wire that can be bent over and over again.
The dye and paint they use is nearly blinding under a blacklight, nothing like the storebought crap I tried.

I spent nearly $1000.00 this morning and with all the time and personal attention I got from not just Mike but his assistants it was money well spent!
Next year im having them custom make me some items for sure as I got a chance to see these guys in action, I wish I could have hung around there all day.
Such a nice group of people, I couldnt be happier!!!!!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts