Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and I'm trying to make a sign that would be at the entrance of my Yard Haunt, and I wanted a list of Rules you have and any warning phases.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
No touching or grabbing of the actors or props.
No cameras or photography inside the haunt.
No open flames or smoking in the haunt.
No weapons allowed.
No Flashlights/torches allowed.
All cellphones must be turned off within the haunt.
No Drugs or alcohol allowed on the premises.
We reserve the right to refuse entry or service to anyone.
No gang colors, symbols, or clothing permitted.
Guests are subject to search/inspection at any time.
Guests must have proper ID. This is helpful if you have put on age restrictions or requirements for guests.
No food or drink within the haunt. This keeps you from having spills, food or drinks thrown at actors or props, etc.
You may require no high heels, depending upon your haunt, and where it's held. If the floor is fragile or uneven, it can be a major issue with high heels. Gym floors, rough trails, etc., are perfect examples.

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
We do a home haunt and don't charge admission. This is also our first year moving to a backyard haunt, so we will need warnings. Our warnings might be different than others.

I see a lot of warnings about Fog machines and stobe lights being used. Also if you have a heart condition. as well as being easily scared by sudden noises it is advisable that you don't enter the haunt.. In my case I'd have to add... No wagons,strollers, or other wheeled (contraptions?) beyond this point. Also, No masks since our haunt is "Terrain challenged"

I am very interested in seering what others have posted at thier haunts as well. You have to listof less than 10 (Commandments) and more likely around 5-6, or people just won't read the list. Let's keep this thread going.

·
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper
Craft my own animated props, create a huge display, visit local "Haunted Events"
1,536 Posts
I am always both shocked and awed by those folks who do "walk thru" type haunts. Takes a certain level of guts (and commitment), I would think. Myself, I just do a display. Stand on the public sidewalk and gawk to your hearts content, but I offer no invitation to enter. In our litigious society, I am wary of inviting a large number of strangers onto my property. Then there is also the fear of wanton and malicious destruction or theft of my stuff. Not that I am trying to dissuade anyone.

I salute you brave few.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... I need more!

Thanks guys,
I thinks I nned some more [Rules] !!!!!:(

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Jack, tell us about your haunt.
What kind of theme?
Will it be a walk through the scenes, or strictly an observational kind of thing?
Will it all be on smooth ground, cement, or...?
Keep in mind that rules have to be clearly posted and readable in the conditions of the haunt (dark of night, etc.), so you can't just scribble them out on paper and tape them to a tree.
I'm betting this is your first haunt, so you may want to have an adult at the gate or start to get confirmation from the guests that they have read and understand the rules and that they are willing to abide by them.
You are living in "lawsuit city" so even with the rules posted, you still need to be careful and protect yourself/your haunt/yard, etc.
If you are going to have strobe lights, black lights, subwoofers pounding out a rhythm, etc., you need to have a warning for those with epilepsy, heart conditions, visual disabilities, and those subject to seizures.
The enter at your own risk sounds great, but in court, that warning is about useless. I'd still include it, but you can't plan on it as a defense should something go wrong. You might look at the rules for Knott's Berry Farm's Halloween Haunt and or Universal Studio's haunt rules. Both are very thorough and can be used without any issues, providing you don't use their name or any copyrighted symbols or artwork.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The theme is "Haunted Farm/Western mixed in with Haunted Forest"!!!!
My haunt will be basically: Walk through, observe, get candy an exit.
My Haunt, "Jack's Haunt" will be on Concrete with no steps...
AND... I already printed out some signs that I made with a large, CLEARLY readable font!
ALSO, I'll check out Universal Studios HAUN website...
PS: The last time I checked, which was today... the Knott's Scary Farm website was Not up & running (BUT you CAN still buy tictets!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a sign that says "No Touching, Running or Pushing, This MEANS You!".
I find it better to have less rules posted, it makes it easier for my patrons to remember.
I think i could remember uf rules....
Few years ago, well about 6 me and some friends did a haunted trail we had some of the rules that others have posted... we should have had the no running rule but some just run when they hear a chainsaw lol.

This yr will mostly be a display type thing but thinking maybe a small walk through im thinking of just "strobe lights and music in use enter at own risk. Not sure still have lots in mind if i can get it finished

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
One thing you might add is (and my apologies if it is, I didn't see it in the others) that you are using fog or other inhalants. After the lawsuit in St Louis last year and a couple other places, it might be worth an extra line....Just my thought

·
Registered
772 Posts
@joker: I have a similiar list for my haunt posted on a large white posterboard outside the haunt so folks in the que line could read it. Several ToT's, after waiting for over an hour to get in, finally got to the front, read the sign, got scared and left without entering. ...lawlz...

@jackg: in addition to ensuring you have solid rules, be aware of local zoning regulations. Common regulations include a minimum 4-foot wide path, disabled access, exit signs, and fireproof-coated materials. If you're serious about it, contact the local Fire Marshal from the city department to have him inspect your setup. A large dose of common sense also helps to make sure your place is safe.

I found a local ordnance stating that "structures attached to the main house" had to be zoned and coded (i.e. built to construction specifications along with permits). "Temporary free standing structures" do not require zoning, coding, or permits. Since my haunt was all free standing in the back yard, I was in the clear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My needs are simple.

Please do not touch the props.
Stay on the path.
Photography/videography encouraged.

Since it's a yard haunt, they can see what elements are there before they walk through. If they want, they can just go up the driveway and straight to the house if anything might put them off. I also keep a look out and greet ToTs/families if there are issues with entering due to lights/sounds/design.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Law suit cause of fog machine was used? Was that in a real haunt house or a bacyard haunt????
I ment to add that our greator/guide would tell everyone at the door to please dead over our warning signs and understand them ours were free and but took donations maybe got lucky never asked the county about anyoff it guess were lucky noone complained about us
Im in the country now so mostly country type ppl but guess you never know...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a walk though garage haunt and I think will put up a couple of simple rules like "do not touch anything" and "no running".

·
Super Moderator
64,302 Posts
You could always for with the classic "You Break It, You Buy It":)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rules Sign

Anyone have a "rules" sign up? IF so what does it say. I want to make one for this year and was hoping to get some ideas of what to put on it. Thank you!!:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts